Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bangles

Default Bangles

Hi all. It's been a while since I've made anything (when real life takes over it tends to do so with a bang and not a whimper) and my head's not been in the right place to. Last week though I decided to make a set of bangles - reasonably easy to do, could play around with some textures and have something nice and substantial at the end of the process.

Used a piece of 2mm square wire that was the perfect length at 22cm, two pieces of 3mm round and two d-wires at 4x2mm. I decided I wanted to etch the d-wires, so hand drew a pattern with an oil paint sharpie and used nail varnish and nail etching plates for the other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180810_132206.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	11559

I hammered the square wire with a riveting hammer, left one of the round wires plain and gave it a matte finish, and on the other round wire I added a bit of texture with a planishing hammer at various places around it, leaving the other areas plain. None of these three are truly perfectly round as I like things that look a bit ancient and battered.

Name:	IMG_20180813_192201.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	11560

It's really difficult to tell because I just take quick snaps with my phone and the light here is not great, but I added some gold plate to the etched and riveting hammered bangles, then knocked back the plating from the top so it sits in the recesses and then last night decided to add a little doodad I made ages ago from a bit of scrap using the nail plate etching method I really like to one of the round wire bangles. I finally broke out the paste solder I've had sitting in the cupboard for ages for the jump ring, and went wild and used paste to resolder the bangle after I had added the doodad - I think I quite like paste solder. And here you go, a set of five bangles that I'm quite pleased with. Thanks for looking!

Name:	IMG_20180817_150645.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	11561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180817_151011.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	11562

Like those a lot, love the different textures. I’d happily wear them

You'll certainly be pleased to wear those and be worth your weight in silver as well. Dennis.

The doodad

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    The doodad
    Thanks It's been hanging around in a pot for ages and I finally found a use for it!

And thank you Caroline and Dennis

The texturing is fab!

I like the subtle gold in the textures. Makes them feel so much older than they are and they look great together. Nice work

Quote Originally Posted by misspond View Post
    Hi all. It's been a while since I've made anything (when real life takes over it tends to do so with a bang and not a whimper) and my head's not been in the right place to. Last week though I decided to make a set of bangles - reasonably easy to do, could play around with some textures and have something nice and substantial at the end of the process.

Used a piece of 2mm square wire that was the perfect length at 22cm, two pieces of 3mm round and two d-wires at 4x2mm. I decided I wanted to etch the d-wires, so hand drew a pattern with an oil paint sharpie and used nail varnish and nail etching plates for the other.

Name:	IMG_20180810_132206.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	11559

I hammered the square wire with a riveting hammer, left one of the round wires plain and gave it a matte finish, and on the other round wire I added a bit of texture with a planishing hammer at various places around it, leaving the other areas plain. None of these three are truly perfectly round as I like things that look a bit ancient and battered.

Name:	IMG_20180813_192201.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	11560

It's really difficult to tell because I just take quick snaps with my phone and the light here is not great, but I added some gold plate to the etched and riveting hammered bangles, then knocked back the plating from the top so it sits in the recesses and then last night decided to add a little doodad I made ages ago from a bit of scrap using the nail plate etching method I really like to one of the round wire bangles. I finally broke out the paste solder I've had sitting in the cupboard for ages for the jump ring, and went wild and used paste to resolder the bangle after I had added the doodad - I think I quite like paste solder. And here you go, a set of five bangles that I'm quite pleased with. Thanks for looking!

Name:	IMG_20180817_150645.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	11561 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180817_151011.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	11562
    Love these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk