Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Finally have our Seaglass just how we want it- What do you think?

Do you think it would work if you tumbled dichroic glass?
    Tempted to try with https://www.creativeglassshop.co.uk/...lack-125g.html (once I have a tumbler!)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I'm pretty sure you'd destroy the coating.

https://www.warm-glass.co.uk/dichroi...qs-cms-24.html
    Good to know. Thanks Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Out of curiosity, is that really sea glass - ie glass picked up off a beach or just bits of glass?
    I know of lots of 'sea glass' which is really just glass bits shoved into a tumbler.
    Yes it is 100% Real sea glass myself and my partner pick from Seaham Beach. It is getting very hard to find now though as the beaches are full of pickers these days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0160R.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	11484Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0161R.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	11485

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Looks good how long did it take to Polish a peice of glass like that?
    Its takes about 4 weeks to finish one piece off all together

Good to be back

Thanks
    Mick

I don't get it. It doesn't look anything like Seaglass.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    I don't get it. It doesn't look anything like Seaglass.
    It has to be as it is .

Seaham had the largest glass factory in the WORLD in its day. Hundreds if not thousands of tonnes of scrap glass was dumped into the North Sea by them and over the course of 50 years the sea has shaped it.

I take the glass and simply smooth it further to a polished finish. You can pick some of these pieces up and they just look like black stone until you shine a light. Clean the outer surface up and it reveals the detail.

Sea Glass from other parts of the world is usually just beer bottles that floated away. The glass on our coastline has a element of history to it and the designs/patterns inside the glass vary hugely. I have rainbow, white and blue, red,white and blue, purple, multi shades of colours etc etc You name it and its out there if you find it. Some of the glass even contains Gold as they used it in the old days to color some glass.

We have found some bits the size of bars of soap ourselves and i once saw someone find a piece football sized

We get lots of people holidaying here now just to pick glass from the USA and Canada so we have something unique on our doorstep.

Mick
    Last edited by mick; 31-07-2018 at 09:12 PM.

There is a beach at Dysart in Fife with glass just like that with much the same story

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    There is a beach at Dysart in Fife with glass just like that with much the same story

Yeah Scotland has a few places as does the West Coast near Cumbria etc. Whitby has the jet too and Sunderland has some as well due to the glass works it used to have.

I am not just saying this though as we live there but apparently Seaham is the best of all.

They had to do a country file episode about it Everyone is picking now haha.

Mick
    Last edited by mick; 31-07-2018 at 09:50 PM.

That’s Countryfile. OH bought me a bag made from the stinkiest wool just because it had been on Countryfile. I made him give it to his sister for her bday instead, don’t think she was impressed either but she lives in Wales so I don’t care!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    That’s Countryfile. OH bought me a bag made from the stinkiest wool just because it had been on Countryfile. I made him give it to his sister for her bday instead, don’t think she was impressed either but she lives in Wales so I don’t care!!

HaHa
    Last edited by mick; 01-08-2018 at 12:23 AM.