Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally have our Seaglass just how we want it- What do you think?

Thats a false equivalence, customers pay for my jewellery, that is the agreed exchange.

Everybody has something to contribute in any society and actually contributing benefits the giver too.
    In any case Mick has apologised and Im sure he will find pleasure at contributing to the forum now that he can be assured that he has something to offer.

Personally I think its really important to value those that do give their knowledge for free, especially when oftentimes that knowledge has cost them a lot.
    One cannot assume that people *will* happily continue to do so in an unbalanced environment.
    Thankfully since the last time it came up everybody has been extremely polite in saying thank you when given free advice but that in itself has been an issue in the past.
    Quite a few knowledgeable folk have either left or barely post, of course that may be down to totally different reasons but it could equally be down to them feeling used or uncomfortable in the environment.
    Im not sure what benefit you think those doing all the answering derive from the exchange ? It can hardly be equal to those receiving the answers in an area such as this.
    I don't know how Dennis does it tbh, always there to help each and every one of us even when it often takes a great deal of thoughtful explanation that he's already gone through countless times.
    I hope he realises how valued he is.

But yes, essentially Micks OP was just badly worded I think so my comments here are not in any way having a go at Mick, just a general musing.
    I actually think the forum has been a really nice place recently

Looks good how long did it take to Polish a peice of glass like that?

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    Looks good how long did it take to Polish a peice of glass like that?
    now there’s a question!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I you want to polish glass to that level you need to treat it like any other stone tumble first, then a cabbing machine with diamond wheels then finish off with a felt buff and cerium oxide.
    There is no mystery involved

That would be fun. Get some bits of glass, tumble to turn them into 'sea glass' then tumble more to restore shine....
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Tumbling just sets a basic shape to enhance upon

Tumbling takes off sharp edges and matts the surface.
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

Well, yes with the coarser grits - if you leave bits of broken bottle in with grit it'll blunt it down, it takes blooming ages for it to get more rounded and stop looking like bits of broken bottle with the sharp bits blunted.
    If going that route I'd grind everything to shape first, then tumble to soften before progressing through the grits. I'd expect stress fractures too unless you're going to start messing with annealing cycles.

Yes what i have done is tumble to take the edges off and it provides a rough shape to work with, then onto the cabbing machine the diamond wheels rip it off pretty quick, once you get to the fine wheel you have a primary polish
    then onto the felt wheel with the cerium oxide, personally I don't believe you would reap any benefit on a commercial basis too much time and effort and in the end it is only glass, so buyers will only pay for glass as a hobbyist
    venture it does not really matter

I play around with coloured glass (lampshades and such stuff) so had lots of tiny bits sitting looking at me. Thought it might be a way to use them. No waste etc etc
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk