Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head pins like golf clubs

Default Head pins like golf clubs

Hi, any way to stop my sterling silver headpins going lopsided when i make them with a micro torch? Or is it just a matter of taking the pliers to them, to centre them, after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180720_085320_HDR.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	11435

I think it's a matter of practice, Sheena: holding the wire vertically, not using too fierce a flame and not withdrawing suddenly.
    I dont do this much, except to start rivet heads, so mine are definitely on the wonky side.

I have read that the special metals such as Argentium ball up more reliably. Dennis.

I know Carole Allen uses Argentinium in her business. I seem to have made them slightly better but melting in tiny increments rather than one big blast and I think on about my third melt up if you get me they become a bit rounder

Thanks caroline and dennis will try both your suggestions. I had a look on cookson and argentium is slightly cheaper than sterling which i was surprised by. Any reason not to use argentium wire in general? Sheena

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    Hi, any way to stop my sterling silver headpins going lopsided when i make them with a micro torch? Or is it just a matter of taking the pliers to them, to centre them, after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180720_085320_HDR.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	11435
    I do mine verically. I hold them upright in the pliers which are held at 90’ angle to the side. Does that make sense? The torch at the bottom of the wire and it just balls up centrally. Sorry if this is what youre doing already. Usually works ok when ive done this. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any reason not to use Argentium wire in general? Sheena
    None at all. As you know from past discussions, it is hypo allergic and even accepted by people who have a reaction with sterling.

The only thing to watch is not to quench while visibly red, or it can break up. Dennis.

I tend to do them vertically in increments , so if it goes a little on one side I then turn it around to even it out.

Thanks mandy and enigma. Mandy I wonder why it's not balling up like it does for you as i'm doing it the way you describe. Enigma going to try turning the head pin next time and see what happens

Thanks mandy and enigma. Mandy I wonder why it's not balling up like it does for you as i'm doing it the way you describe. Enigma going to try turning the head pin next time and see what happens
    I have no idea! Maybe the heat of the torch? I still take pot luck and hope for the best with it! I heat it up in stages a swell sometimes to get it central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s 3 of us who have said we heat it up in increments moving the ball up so maybe that’s the answer