Thread: Stone setting in platinum

Default Stone setting in platinum

Hello, I have just contacted Cooksons to see if they do a stone setting service and understand that they don't.
    My son wants to buy his girlfriend a platinum engagement ring mount (most likely from Cooksons) and have a stone set in it.
    Although I've set stones in silver I'm not sure I'm up to setting one in platinum - does anyone know where I might get this done. It's important to keep costs down if possible
    Lily

Claw setting, I presume?

To be honest we've not got that far yet - still just at the enquiry stage. If it was claw setting I might be able to manage that although the only time I had a go with platinum (making ear hooks) I found it very hard to work with

I just had a look at the mounts at Cooksons and most of them ARE claw settings. Sorry to appear a bit simple but do you think I would have difficulty finding and setting a stone in these if my son likes them? Bearing in mind I have only really worked with silver - I found I couldn't get enough heat generated to bend platinum

If you can claw set in silver, platinum should pose no issues. I'd usually advocate a separate tool kit for Pt, but for a one-off I'm not sure I'd bother (it'll blunt tools faster and I don't want to cross-contaminate Pt with other metals). No need to heat, it moves beautifully and NO SPRING BACK
    If you're bothered by it I can do it for you.

Thankyou Peter! I will see how I get on - appreciate the offer too. I suspect he may want to something with a rub over setting or a cross over shank as we've made these in silver for her before, if so I will be back for more help and advice
    Last edited by Lily; 19-07-2018 at 04:52 PM. Reason: sent too soon