Thread: Felt Brooch

Default Felt Brooch

Hi everyone! Recently I decided to try my hand at making a flower brooch out of felt- it's the yellow one in my picture. I based it off the blogger WhileSheNaps' felt daffodil design but I enlarged it and sewed it instead of using hot glue, and added some little stitches along the sides of the petals to give the flower more shape. I also embroidered beads onto the petals and created a bunch of metal curliques with beads and jewelry wire that I attached in the middle. The brooch is a bit too heavy to wear on clothing. I attached it to the strings on the headstock of my guitar (it looks like it would get in the way of playing, but it doesn't), I imagine a brooch like this would look fantastic attached to the band of a wide-brimmed hat as well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6190.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	11432

Super felt make. Always better to sew rather than glue; i think it's more professional, more secure and won't discolour or fall apart when wet. Your green beads go well with the yellow and i'm a big fan of anything in yellow!

Thanks so much! I've been working with felt for a long time and this is one of my favorite pieces. And I absolutely agree about sewing instead of gluing- it may take longer but it's absolutely worth it. And I'm glad you like the color scheme, yellow flowers are my favorite. My guitar is a pretty dark shade of red, so the contrast between it and the flower is really nice.

Very nice, but as a jewellery addict, I am interested in the nuts and bolts. If it's a brooch show us the pin. Dennis.

Sure! The pin is a simple metal thing sewed onto the back of the flower. I scavenged the pin off a cheap old brooch that broke. It's not great quality, so I might replace it eventually. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6239.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	11433

No, that qualifies. Its a great brooch. I feel guilty for doubting you now. Dennis.

Thanks a bunch!