Thread: Tarnishing

Default Tarnishing

Hello. I have been polishing my silver in a tumbler and then boxing up for a customer. When I looked at it today (after 2days) it was all tarnished and black! Why is it doing this so quickly?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pollutants are getting to it somewhere and one can only try to eliminate all possible factors:

Rinse well and dry quickly using kitchen roll, a cool hair dryer, or sawdust.
    Do not handle with bare fingers, or with latex gloves. Vinyl or clean cotton gloves are best.
    Suspect your packaging, is it acid free?
    Suspect your environment: are they being stored in a kitchen, or near a boiler?

You can revive your piece quickly with a 15 second dip in Johnson's silver dip, or similar, followed by thorough rinsing and drying as above. Most stones will not be affected by a quick dip.
    A good way to store work safely is in a sealed polythene bag with an anti-tarnish strip. https://www.google.com/search?tbm=sh...tarnish%20tabs Dennis.

Thanks Dennis.
    I have recently moved studio. I was thinking maybe the water is different but I don't know. Thanks for your reply. Really helped.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk