Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hallmarking - adding sponsor's mark

Default Hallmarking - adding sponsor's mark

Does anyone know if I can get my sponsor's mark added to a wedding ring blank already hallmarked from cooksons? No reply from the assay office yet and time is ticking!
    thanks
    Corry

If you have the sponsors mark you can do it yourself

it's currently in hall, can you just ask to 'borrow' them and then send them back? I hadn't thought of that. I'd also be a bit concerned about having something appropriate to hold it while I punch. Any ideas on that?
    many thanks

Assay Office London suggested flooding the existing mark and then sending to them, which is going to be easier for me, so that's another option if anyone else has this problem.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by corryvreckan View Post
    Assay Office London suggested flooding the existing mark and then sending to them, which is going to be easier for me, so that's another option if anyone else has this problem.
    thanks!
    I bought my blanks then just added my mark to it ,not sure whey you need it re hallmarked if they are already hall marked no need for extra expense. The mark belongs to you so you can ask for it back i always sent mine in with items to be hallmarked and always asked for it back so if i had items that dident need hallmarking i could always add my mark

Assay Office London suggested flooding the existing mark and then sending to them,
    That's strange, I thought it was illegal to tamper with a hallmark - can anybody clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    That's strange, I thought it was illegal to tamper with a hallmark - can anybody clarify?
    Isn't the makers mark different/supplimentary to the hallmark? Which would mean you woudln't be tampering with the actual hallmark.
    Lucinda

Question What is a "Sponsers Mark" ?

Hello All,
    I have been reading these posts and I would like to know what a "Sponsers mark" is . I have my own makers mark and as I understand it when you have completed the piece you stamp it and send it to the assay office or you send your piece to the Assay office and when it has passed the test they will stamp it with your mark if held by them and then stamp the appropriate marks of the Assay Office you sent it to .

Question : Are you saying that people who are not the makers of the piece and that someone else "The Sponser" has made it and you are allowed to put your makers mark on it and have it Assayed as such and stamped.
    Can some one kindly explain. Thank you Regards Blackbear.

Background Information : I am a hobbiest and the maker of Scottish Dirks etc and all my silver mountings are made from sheet and on completion submitted to the Assay Office in London. B

Hm, I thought the sponsors mark and makers mark were the same thing!

Having left my paperwork in the house, I can't even check the wording on the relevant form.
    Anne

Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
    Blog: http://www.whiteoakjewellery.blogspot.com/

The sponsors mark, or 'makers' mark ARE the same thing. It is called a 'sponsors mark' and there is actually no such thing as a makers mark, in terms of the assay offices paperwork. Books on old silver etc will however, refer to them as makers marks, but they are actually sponsors marks.

The 'sponsor' is ANY person, whom has an 'account' with the assay office, and has registered their details with them, and had a unique mark registered with them to identify themslves.

It may freely be applied to anyones work, not just work you have made yourself, but items bought in which are not marked, and, by itself, it is not a legal hallmark, so may be applied to jewellery already containing a sponsors mark and full hallmark, 'postumously' buy the seller, there would be no law against this, but you would have to do it yourself, as the assay office probably wont put two on themselves and wont erase the first one, as per previous post, due to thier production line work practices. But they do have the legal authority to erase a sponsors mark, and re mark an item, in fact this is the supposedly prefferential and correct way to do this.
    Last edited by ben b; 10-10-2009 at 09:15 PM.