Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldering

Default Soldering

Hello. I have recently set up a workshop with 2 friends after a few years of tutoring and hope someone can help me with this problem. I cut a silver disc in half and tried to solder the flat edges to either side of a copper strip which I had textured. I soldered on the top and was left with a lot of solder - it looked better on the underside! Should I have applied the solder to the underside. I also think I used too much. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without actually seeing the problem I would think that as the copper is textured and there would be the likelihood of solder running into the texture, yes I would solder from the back as long as everything is the same thickness. Excess solder could then safely be filed off.
    Can’t advise on amount of solder without knowing how big the piece is, it’s something you gauge with experience.
    It might be worth making it in copper first to practice the variables so silver isn’t wasted

Thanks for getting back so quickly. The copper is about 2.5” and the silver about 1” (I don’t have it to hand). One half was placed below the top edge of the copper and the other level with the bottom edge on the other side. I put about 6 pallions on each. I’ll try again using copper as you suggest. I can clean the silver and use it for something else.

I still can’t help with the solder as I don’t know the dimensions of the pieces but 6 pallions does seem a lot. Is it part of the design to have different levels as you describe? I’m maybe being dense but is the level flush on the back?
    You should be able to post a pic after you’ve done 3 posts

Hi. I like designs that are asymmetric so yes that’s part of the design. The metal is all the same thickness so maybe it’s a case of too much solder - the pallions were quite big! I sawed the silver off to clean it up so no point in posting a photo now. I only found the forum today which is a pity. All part of the fun of learning
    Thanks again.

Yes I like asymmetrical too which has annoyed the husbands of a couple of customers in the past who seemed to like all things symmetrical. If the metal is the same then yes probably too much solder. You can always add more if necessary but more difficult to remove. One or 2 pallions should do.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your advice and will definitely use the forum again as I’m sure I’ll be looking for more help in the future.

Dear Brendabif.
    We are all members like yourself and the idea is that we share ideas and our own past experiences.
    I hope that you will not just use us, but participate by giving us feedback and showing pictures of your results. Dennis.

Okay I will do. I have just finished my first solo piece. I’m new to this so hope the photo attaches
    [ATTACH]11427

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0606.jpg  

Congratulations on your first solo piece. It will hold fond memories. Dennis.