Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earring design issue

Default Earring design issue

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180704_173634_HDR.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	11420

Playing around with wire. Wanted to try linking together chevron shapes which i managed but now i'm stuck on how to hang them. They are temporarily hanging off some .6mm wire (on left earring) and .4mm wire (on right). But i think they would get all bent out of shape quickly, particularly as i prefer the .4mm wire. Usually with this style people use chain but can't find any copper chain small enough. Other option would be oxidised silver chain. What do you guys think. Let me know if you have any solutions, thanks sheena

Nice design Sheena. I’d be concerned about the wire, difficult to harden that gauge of wire. I think silver chain would be a good contrast oxidised or not

I think they are beautiful Sheena. There is no problem with hardening the wires:

Just anneal, stretch by pulling hard, and twist about five times under tension. You can detach the wires you have already made and do it to them

If you prefer chain, use fine silver chain, which has been put in well used pickle with an iron nail or other iron object. The chain will turn copper and the pickle will return to normal when the iron is removed.
    It won't be very expensive, Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 14-07-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks caroline and Dennis, for helping me make a decision, think i'm going to try the silver chain first. Forgot that you could copper plate it though my pickle is brand new at the moment. Will save this info for later.

With silver chain. Will be oxidising the copper probably

Name:	20180716_102450_HDR.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	11430

Those will move really nicely Sheena. Look forward to seeing them finished

Default On Dangly Earrings

A lot depends on the occasion, Sheena.

Seeing them on someone in an animated discussion, or giving a talk to an audience, they can whip around and be very distracting.

Doing rock and roll, they will end up draped over your ear. So you will need to practice keeping your head very Nefertiti. Dennis.

You’ve obviously not seen the chandeliers that women are wearing just now Dennis. Like everything else I always test drive my work, well all except earrings as I don’t have pierced ears.

Dennis, I think you're just jealous that you can't wear danglies, lol. A gold ring or a couple of ear plugs are all you're allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post

Name:	20180704_173634_HDR.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	11420

Playing around with wire. Wanted to try linking together chevron shapes which i managed but now i'm stuck on how to hang them. They are temporarily hanging off some .6mm wire (on left earring) and .4mm wire (on right). But i think they would get all bent out of shape quickly, particularly as i prefer the .4mm wire. Usually with this style people use chain but can't find any copper chain small enough. Other option would be oxidised silver chain. What do you guys think. Let me know if you have any solutions, thanks sheena
    I liked the 6mm wire best out of the 2 but then they hang more elegantly from the chain which i think is nice kept silver.
    They’re lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk