Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laser engraving machine?

Default Laser engraving machine?

Does anyone know what kind of laser engraving machine is used to make rolling mill texture sheets?
    There are lots of sub £100 laser engravers listed on ebay - but would these be up to the job?
    Sally

I can't answer your question specifically although I would think A laser engraving machine under 100 pounds would not be up to anything very much
    Last edited by china; 13-07-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sally- View Post
    Does anyone know what kind of laser engraving machine is used to make rolling mill texture sheets?
    There are lots of sub £100 laser engravers listed on ebay - but would these be up to the job?
    I've seen Cricut cutters used to make the thin card texture sheets, is that the type you mean?
    Sub-£100 laser engravers will struggle to do anything well and cause immense frustration.

To get some idea what a home laser cutting machine might cost, you could enquire here:
    https://www.gravograph.co.uk/product...SAAEgKFePD_BwE

However, I cant help feeling that you are going down the wrong route to get interesting and detailed images on metal. Rolling down with paper will always give shallow and uncertain results, although thin metal templates would be better, but quickly degrade by use.

You can get a crisper embossing using ferric nitrate for silver, or ferric chloride for copper for home etching instead.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...Ke7PbEM:Dennis.

Both of these were textured with laser cut papers I bought from Canada. I think they worked really well. There are 2 different cuts though and I’d need to check which way round it works best. It also depends on the pattern you choose

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56D84232-62E6-4B2A-858E-B34369C8F1CA.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	11417 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A9E1B60-BE90-4947-9067-580396920449.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	11418

Of those, I like that big cuff with the star burst best, Caroline. Was that a paper one too? Dennis.

Thanks Dennis but I think you might have clicked on my FB page. The 2 pics here are both pendants. The fern labradorite one was bought by a friend who works for Scottish Natural Heritage so it must have made a connection to traipsing about grasslands all the time
    The cuff on my page was all pierced out and punch marked on 1.5mm sheet if I remember.
    You’re right about laser cuts not being as good as some home produced patterns but the range is better. My most used before I started buying was curtain header tape and a slitty paper packaging filler.
    Have you tried the metal templates, I’ve made some on square brass wire for textured stripes but they were still not greatly multi use so it seemed a waste of effort but ok for a one off
    Last edited by CJ57; 13-07-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Yes, it wasn't a mistake. I admired that cuff on your Facebook page, before it all went dark and they invited me in. My mother warned me about that, so I didn't.

I did get mixed up with Emma Clark and Sally writing about lasers though. Dennis.

Ooh don’t get invited in Dennis you never leave. Needs must for taking part in the OS otherwise I’m not fond.

Thanks for the cuff, there was a large necklace and earrings and as is always the case the cuff is left.

Looking at the posts I think I’ve got all mixed up too, can’t blame it on the heat now
    Last edited by CJ57; 13-07-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks for the replies - the machines I'd spotted were these kind of things:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEJE-DK-8...from=R40&rt=nc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-2000...53.m1438.l2649

I like the idea of making my own unique, disposable patterns with a minimum of cost or effort...