Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with tool list please

Default Help me with tool list please

As some of you may know I am currently trying to assemble some quality tools to start making rings. I would like to avoid starter sets. Mainly because I want good quality from the start. I don't want a work bench full of cheaper tools; that I may never use and even if I did would want to replace them in a few months for better ones. I'm thinking buy once and last a life time...... if funds permit!

Would really appreciate it if you guys could look over my list and see if I have made the right choice and mention anything I'm missing remembering just for ring making

My list so far
    Foredom Sr Pendant motor

Optivisor no5

GRS Benchmate Bench pin kit and fixed mounting plate

Vallorbe 6" 150mm half round file, slim, cut 2

Thor Rawhide hammer size 2, 1 and half inch head diameter

Durston Round Marked Triblet A-z+6, hardened steel 360mm 14" 12-15mms Diameter

Soldering kit with borax cone and dish etc

Sievert torch

Saftey pickle and container (maybe slow cooker or baby bottle warmer)

Half Round ring pliers (not sure on which ones)

Buff sticks

Fixed saw frame eclipse 3 inch frame depth ( seems good as any)what was blades will I need ?

Thanks for looking really appreciate it

Small slow cooker for your pickle and I use alum powder which you can get in the food section of amazon really cheaply
    The triblet really doesn’t need to be Durston, they are producing everything at a rate of knots, really expensive and not always better

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Small slow cooker for your pickle and I use alum powder which you can get in the food section of amazon really cheaply
    The triblet really doesn’t need to be Durston, they are producing everything at a rate of knots, really expensive and not always better
    Thanks for the info really appreciated
    Fair enough on the triblet. Doesn't everything get chucked out now so quickly; that quality suffers despite the high price tag. What would you recommend instead ?
    Many thanks

I’m with you about buying the best. I made do for a very long time until I could buy the best.
    I have the triblet I got after college in 1979 and I have a ring stick I probably bought from Cookson. I don’t make rings very often but this question came up recently which might help you https://www.cooksongold.com/forum/sh...ght=Wheatsheaf

I’ve had my Sievert torch since then too but others will give you their preferences. It’s a good starter torch though and it’s always met my needs.
    Vallorbe saw blades are the best too
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.

I use the everflex burrs for all my work, I find it much easier to get a good finish than with papers.
    Other than that I prefer the Smiths little torch over the Sievert as it gives a much finer flame so far easier for accuracy and also has the power to handle big items if you start doing cuffs etc later.
    I use 6/0 and 4/0 saw blades, generally Vallorbe.
    You will also need some lubricant, everybody has their preferences but I like the burr life cut lube.
    I also prefer Auroflux to borax but Im lazy like that....
    I love my Durston ring stretcher/reducer but they are expensive so something to think about later perhaps if you are making a lot.
    A pair of round and a pair of snipe nose pliers would be useful to have.

The item that caught my eye was the 3" saw frame, which severely restricts the size of sheet yo can saw. 5" would be better.

I am also very much against buying a whole lot of tools, some of which you will never use and simply build up a tools grave yard.
    Rather than go for an expensive mega-shop, you would do well to join a class in a well equipped workshop, so that yo can try a whole range of tools. Then only buy what you absolutely need for the project in hand.

I favour this video as a sensible introduction to ring making: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN5RjofUhXY Dennis.

Enigma, Does the auroflux have any health risks associated with it? Most of the premade fluxs seem to be much worse compared to borax. I'm never that keen to heat something toxic into the air.

I agree with Dennis, don't buy a lot of tools, buy them as you need them. When I first started all I had was a saw frame and some files, I made my own half round pliers by filing some standard pliers into shape and some 57 years later I still use these large half round pliers for some jobs. If you do intend buying some half round pliers, check out the parallel pliers on amazon, like these;https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parallel-Ac...f+round+pliers
    Also may I ask where you are based? some of us older workers may have some spare tools to share.

James

I am still a relative newbie...but in my full time job I am constantly reminded about the importance of health and safety. I must complete regular refresher courses on H&S. Others may laugh at this, but to me, the very first things you ought to buy--which I don't see on your list or maybe they were just too obvious to mention--are:

1) Eye protection (Safety glasses):dewalt-protector-pro-clear-lens-safety-specs/6222t
    2) Ear defenders (especially since you will be hammering): ear-defenders-27-6db-snr/6191d
    3) Cut Resistant gloves: site-cutmaster-cut-5-gloves-black-large/8810p
    4) Face Shield: bolle-sphere-sphere-face-shield-black/1008f

I use the face shield (4) whenever I use my torch, this is in addition to my glasses. It may be overkill, but they are rated to protect against molten metal splashes.

All are cheap but what they protect are priceless. The gloves might be a little bulky for delicate work, but I use them whenever I am cutting or sawing anything else.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but I often see tradesmen working on peoples houses, they are outside cutting wood with a power saw...no eye or ear protection...it fills me with horror!

I own some of the other tools on your list but would rather let the more experienced jewellers comment on those, however I needed to mention that the Optivisor DA-5 is an essential tool for me. They are comfortable, they fit over safety glasses and I can wear them with ear defenders. I also own this Led-Magnifying-Compact-Table-Lamp--Pro-prcode-997-1413

On health and safety. I have a fire blanket, which hangs up in full view. Though I've never used it, there is no convenient defence if a fire suddenly flares up, bigger than a foot print.

They cost very little. https://www.google.com/search?q=fire...ient=firefox-b Dennis.