Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me with tool list please

On health and safety I fully agree with protective goggles and also a dust mask is an absolute must, I don't bother with anything else personally but not using those would be very daft.

Re the Auroflux, it doesn't say on the product info but it doesn't cause any problems to my skin and I use it all so disposal isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    The item that caught my eye was the 3" saw frame, which severely restricts the size of sheet yo can saw. 5" would be better.

I am also very much against buying a whole lot of tools, some of which you will never use and simply build up a tools grave yard.
    Rather than go for an expensive mega-shop, you would do well to join a class in a well equipped workshop, so that yo can try a whole range of tools. Then only buy what you absolutely need for the project in hand.

I favour this video as a sensible introduction to ring making: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN5RjofUhXY Dennis.
    Thanks for that Dennis I will amend my order for a 5" saw. Appreciate the link. I have watched a lot of Andrews Videos andI have also joined At The Bench so have now watched the series you linked.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I agree with Dennis, don't buy a lot of tools, buy them as you need them. When I first started all I had was a saw frame and some files, I made my own half round pliers by filing some standard pliers into shape and some 57 years later I still use these large half round pliers for some jobs. If you do intend buying some half round pliers, check out the parallel pliers on amazon, like these;https://www.amazon.co.uk/Parallel-Ac...f+round+pliers
    Also may I ask where you are based? some of us older workers may have some spare tools to share.

Thanks James,
    I was intending to get some half round pliers I looked at Bergeon Brand 130mm although they are £33.95 I also wanted some parallel pliers will look at the ones you lined to. I am near Cambridge I notice you live in Surrey I visit Dorking quite often.

James
    Thanks James,
    I was intending to get some half round pliers I looked at Bergeon Brand 130mm although they are £33.95 I also wanted some parallel pliers will look at the ones you lined to. I am near Cambridge I notice you live in Surrey I visit Dorking quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    I am still a relative newbie...but in my full time job I am constantly reminded about the importance of health and safety. I must complete regular refresher courses on H&S. Others may laugh at this, but to me, the very first things you ought to buy--which I don't see on your list or maybe they were just too obvious to mention--are:

1) Eye protection (Safety glasses):dewalt-protector-pro-clear-lens-safety-specs/6222t
    2) Ear defenders (especially since you will be hammering): ear-defenders-27-6db-snr/6191d
    3) Cut Resistant gloves: site-cutmaster-cut-5-gloves-black-large/8810p
    4) Face Shield: bolle-sphere-sphere-face-shield-black/1008f

I use the face shield (4) whenever I use my torch, this is in addition to my glasses. It may be overkill, but they are rated to protect against molten metal splashes.

All are cheap but what they protect are priceless. The gloves might be a little bulky for delicate work, but I use them whenever I am cutting or sawing anything else.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but I often see tradesmen working on peoples houses, they are outside cutting wood with a power saw...no eye or ear protection...it fills me with horror!

I own some of the other tools on your list but would rather let the more experienced jewellers comment on those, however I needed to mention that the Optivisor DA-5 is an essential tool for me. They are comfortable, they fit over safety glasses and I can wear them with ear defenders. I also own this Led-Magnifying-Compact-Table-Lamp--Pro-prcode-997-1413
    Thanks for the advice
    I totally agree with the health and safety side of things. Having been severely unwell for some time and resulting in being intensive care on life support..it really makes you realise if you haven't got your health you have nothing!

I fully intend on wearing a good half mask with correct filters. I love the JSP force 8 masks with press to check I have P3 and A2 combo filters on mine at the moment. Nothing worse than seeing people not using a mask or using one that isn't doing anything as it doesn't fit properly.

I personally would love some ambient extraction and plan get some as soon as I can as airborne contaminate are present for days..so no good taking mask off and staying in same room really!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    I use the everflex burrs for all my work, I find it much easier to get a good finish than with papers.
    Other than that I prefer the Smiths little torch over the Sievert as it gives a much finer flame so far easier for accuracy and also has the power to handle big items if you start doing cuffs etc later.
    I use 6/0 and 4/0 saw blades, generally Vallorbe.
    You will also need some lubricant, everybody has their preferences but I like the burr life cut lube.
    I also prefer Auroflux to borax but Im lazy like that....
    I love my Durston ring stretcher/reducer but they are expensive so something to think about later perhaps if you are making a lot.
    A pair of round and a pair of snipe nose pliers would be useful to have.
    Thanks for the info really appreciated
    I was going to ask about saw blades so ill get 6/0 and 4/0 by Vallorbe