Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Understanding How to START using the Forum

Default Understanding How to START using the Forum

This is my first attemp at putting anything on the forum as I have found it a real pain without detailed instructions and have found that the FAQ's did not help.
    Maybe as seem to have broken into I can really intergrate and ask some of my questions. For example what is the difference between a thread and a post and is what is a tag? Still a lot to find out about.

I have been learning silversmithing and have decided to produce sculptures of flowers. So far I have produced orchid, rose, lily of the valley and fuchsia.
    Here's hoping I can now ask some new questions

First and foremost, welcome. A thread (this is one) is a chain of posts - with my post answering your post, but linked in order. Helps keep things in some semblance of order (well, when they don't drift off-topic...). As I'm the one who gets to reroute things if they get posted in the wrong place, I always appreciate when people post in the correct area!

Tags aren't used much in this forum software, but essentially they're available to try and help organise things when searching. Here, for example, you might use tags like silver, introduction, flowers or similar. But... I wouldn't worry too much about them. They're an option under the advanced settings in the search engine, but rarely seen otherwise.

Many thanks for the reply and now I have someone who is able to give me some answers perhaps it is in order to ask some more?
    Is there a structure logical layaout of the forum?
    Other than the FAQ's is there a manual?
    Can you and How do you include images in the post?
    I will now try in a seperate post a question relating to an equiry I have about welding.
    Thanks again
    Peter R

Well, here is a little input from me. What seems bewildering at first, soon becomes familiar.

You can browse the forum without signing in (sometimes called lurking), but you need to sign in to post a reply, start a new thread, view pictures, or post pictures of your own.

If you want to write something completely new, possibly in the form of a question, you click on 'Forum' (top left) and then select the heading that you think most appropriate, followed by 'Post New Thread'.

OK, now ask away. We are very polite and no one will shout at you. Dennis.

I think you have to make a certain number of posts before you can post photos, 3 maybe?
    Its designed that way to prevent spammers I think.

When you create a new post or reply to someone else's the forum gives you a box in which to type your text and above it a series of little pictures & symbols. Each of those allows you to change something like the size or colour of your text or to add a picture, videos, link to something elsewhere on the internet etc.

The symbol marked with the arrow below is the one you'll want for adding a picture
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	11575

There is a maximum file size for pictures (I think 200Mb?) and you'll get a message saying its failed to upload if the file is too big.

Welcome to the forum
    Hazel

PeterR posted his complaint in July Hazel. He had detailed replies, but hasn't said anything meaningful since.

I think he was just throwing in a can of red luncheon met. Dennis.

There was me thinking he’d just found it so complex that he gave up and got on with his flower sculptures

Hay I am the most computer illiterate person on the planet if I can manage it, it can't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I think he was just throwing in a can of red luncheon met. Dennis.
    I tend to look at the IP address first - this one didn't raise any flags for me.