Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you sitting on ?

Default What are you sitting on ?

Now I have my Bench nearly sorted my thoughts are now heading towards the next most important thing. What seat to get ?
    The bench top is 940mm so looking for advice on a suitable chair/stool that doesn't cost the earth; but more importantly comfortable. Would also be a bonus if it can adjust quite high if needed.

Thoughts please

I would suggest an office chair without arms like the first one here:https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/office-chairs/

It is fully adjustable and you can scoot around to reach drawers and bins without getting up.

There are even cheaper ones, but if the wheels dont work well, it kind of defeats the object.

While we are are it, choose flame resistant flooring, because sooner or later you will drop hot metal. Pale grey is good for finding dropped objects. Dennis.

My workbench seat is an old office chair, I bought it 2nd. hand for £10 from an office clearance company some 20 years ago.
    This is my workbench and seat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 Workshop 2009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	11403

James

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I would suggest an office chair without arms like the first one here

It is fully adjustable and you can scoot around to reach drawers and bins without getting up.

There are even cheaper ones, but if the wheels dont work well, it kind of defeats the object.

While we are are it, choose flame resistant flooring, because sooner or later you will drop hot metal. Pale grey is good for finding dropped objects. Dennis.
    Thank Dennis
    Will get one like you suggested with good wheels. Flooring wise I'm Glad you mention that I really don't want i fire on my hands any suggestions on where to buy and types of flame retardant flooring?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    My workbench seat is an old office chair, I bought it 2nd. hand for £10 from an office clearance company some 20 years ago.
    This is my workbench and seat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 Workshop 2009.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	11403

James
    Thanks James that was a bargain will have a look around see what I can find maybe secondhand ....you're seems o be lasting well I like the recliner position for a quick snooze

I seem to remember that you are in a garage, so why bother with additional flooring flooring?

Vinyl is OK, because it just melts and takes some time to start burning.
    I am indoors and have two of these Kolon floor protectors, punched and held together with cable ties: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?k...or%20protector

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I seem to remember that you are in a garage, so why bother with additional flooring flooring?

Vinyl is OK, because it just melts and takes some time to start burning.
    I am indoors and have two of these Kolon floor protectors, punched and held together with cable ties:
    My workshop is in my 10x12 wooden shed so probably a good idea to get flame retardant flooring.
    thanks for link will check it out now

Look very comfy where did you get that from ?

Check out office chairs on Amazon, there are plenty to choose from starting from about £20.

I use a gas-lift office chair (with no arms) for most things - working under the scope and laser work too. Cheaper ones fall apart & wobble too much for my liking so I paid (slightly) more; think it was in the order of £100.

I'd *like* a Bambach, but until I find one at a price I'm prepared to pay that'll remain wishful thinking. There's a few copies around, no idea how good they are - some of the dental ones might be viable.

For computer work I use a kneeling chair - I don't use one at the bench because a) you can't anchor yourself by planting your feet and b) you can't reach a foot pedal. Well, you can, but it completely defeats the point of using a kneeling chair and ain't ideal for posture.

I use a saddle seat on wheels like this
    http://www.beautelle.co.uk/water/Sad...hoC_0AQAvD_BwE

I have a normal office chair at my computer desk where I spend a fair amount of time and I find it helps my back to switch between the two.