Thread: Hello from Cambridgshire

Default Hello from Cambridgshire

Hi, I found the forum while I was looking for a Foredom SR Pendant motor. The reason I was looking for one of these very expensive tools ? Well after watching a few YouTube videos, I have been inspired to take up Silver Smithing. I would like to start off by learning how to make a band using D-shaped sterling silver.

My task now is to assemble the tools to make my first masterpiece 😉 I have decided against buying a Starter Tool kit, as I would like to buy good quality tools for the current project. I can then add to these anything I need if and when I want to make something else.

I have already built myself a Jeweler's bench from our old dinning room table. with some plywood I had already. although maybe a bit odd looking in designIt has come out very solid. Working height is 940 mm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7010030.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	11397

Name:	P7020033.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	11398

Name:	P7020034.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	11399

Name:	P7020035.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	11400

Name:	P7020038.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	11401

Looking forward to chatting with you all and learning new skills
    Adam

The fact you can make your own jeweller's bench is a good sign welcome to the forum adam.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bench.
    Some comments as a major peril of jewellery making is to loose tools, gemstones and precious components on the floor:

As you work and more items accumulate on the surface, they will creep to the edges and fall off. It is worth having some beading around the perimeter to prevent this.

Many items are also dropped from the bench peg area, so you will need a 'skin', or a pull out drawer to catch these.

The skin can be traditional, or something as simple as an old apron fitted with eyelets and suspended from cup hooks.

You are also better wearing an apron, not only to protect your clothes, but also as an additional device to help catch small dropped items when seated.

When all else fails have a torch handy. Dennis.

Hi Adam, welcome.
    What Dennis said! I prefer a skin because it moves with you but it’s personal choice. I bought a new bench with a drawer and had to move it up one and do away with the tool tray. Eventually sold it on and tried to be tidier with the benches I had

Welcome Adam, all good advice above, one more thing don't have a multi coloured carpet as I have, tiny items disappear forever.

Welcome Adam, nice work on the bench. Based on that I’m sure your first D shaped band will look great

Tess

I get down to carpet level and shine a torch across the carpet pile, this makes anything you've dropped glint

Quote Originally Posted by carolynepperly3 View Post
    Hello, Welcome to the forum. Hope you can learn those things you want to.
    Thank you hopefully seems, to be a lot of info and good advice, what did we all do before the internet lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    The fact you can make your own jeweller's bench is a good sign welcome to the forum adam.
    I hope so I am really looking forward to starting now. I have just got to get a final list of tools I need to make ring!
    Thanks for the Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new bench.
    Some comments as a major peril of jewellery making is to loose tools, gemstones and precious components on the floor:

As you work and more items accumulate on the surface, they will creep to the edges and fall off. It is worth having some beading around the perimeter to prevent this.

Many items are also dropped from the bench peg area, so you will need a 'skin', or a pull out drawer to catch these.

The skin can be traditional, or something as simple as an old apron fitted with eyelets and suspended from cup hooks.

You are also better wearing an apron, not only to protect your clothes, but also as an additional device to help catch small dropped items when seated.

When all else fails have a torch handy. Dennis.
    Thanks for the info really appreciated
    Funny you mentioned beading I went and got some skirting board and fitted that today and another support leg in the middle

Name:	P7040010.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	11402

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Hi Adam, welcome.
    What Dennis said! I prefer a skin because it moves with you but it’s personal choice. I bought a new bench with a drawer and had to move it up one and do away with the tool tray. Eventually sold it on and tried to be tidier with the benches I had
    Thanks I will look into a Skin. Shame you had to sell the bench on. That has been one nice thing about making my own I can adjust as necessary. I got the dimensions for the cut out off a website that was selling a metal tray so if I did want to go that route it should match up...I hope

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    Welcome Adam, all good advice above, one more thing don't have a multi coloured carpet as I have, tiny items disappear forever.
    Thank you I will avoid multi coloured carpet
    My bench is in my shed so I think I'm going to get some plain carpet tiles...then I am told eventually they can go in my sweepings bag and sent off for all the silver and gold I will of collected.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Welcome Adam, nice work on the bench. Based on that I’m sure your first D shaped band will look great

Tess
    Thanks for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Sheen View Post
    I get down to carpet level and shine a torch across the carpet pile, this makes anything you've dropped glint
    Thats a good tip I will keep my torch fully charged for such emergencies!