Thread: Moving to france

Question Moving to france

Hi, I’m moving to France in the autumn and hope to continue making / selling silver jewellery there but am having problems finding out the rules for silversmithing in a home workshop and being a small business in this particular skill where precious metals involved obviously. Even business advisers in Fr seem unsure how to proceed, anyone have experience or knowledge that may help please? Martin Avery.

I'm sorry that you are not getting any replies, Martin. There is at least one member here who worked in France, but might be on holiday.

Those i have spoken to complain of endless bureaucracy. Dennis.

Hi Martin

Bureaucracy in France is a nightmare, I lived there and made jewellery whilst there but stayed well away from any form of registration.
    My understanding ( which may well be wrong) was that to register as a silversmith you need to show relevant qualifications and that hallmarking is tied to this registration.
    So I just had everything hallmarked in the UK.
    However, like I say that could be wrong so you would need to look into it properly if you wish to be registered.
    Tbh many of the French don't bother with French bureaucracy either.....
    Obviously as far as taxes go you need to be able to declare those but I was registered as an auto entrepreneur with my horse business so put it through there- the auto entrepreneur scheme is self accounting and doesn't allow for deductions though.
    Depending on your situation you may need to register as an artisan which is when it all gets more complicated and you need an accountant etc.
    I would recommend finding a good accountant and go from there I think.
    Last edited by enigma; 03-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinavery View Post
    Hi, I’m moving to France in the autumn and hope to continue making / selling silver jewellery there but am having problems finding out the rules for silversmithing in a home workshop and being a small business in this particular skill where precious metals involved obviously. Even business advisers in Fr seem unsure how to proceed, anyone have experience or knowledge that may help please? Martin Avery.
    Hi. I used to live in France and yes, French bureaucracy is renowned for its complexity. We had terrific advice from an english but French qualified accountant. Here is his email address. norman.smith@infonie.be. I don’t know where you are moving to. Norman lives in Belgium but works across the north of France. It is also a few years since we were in touch so he may have retired. His advice was the best we got from anyone. Good luck or courage. David Lindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for those replies, daunted but will press on! Will post any progress I make in case anyone else wants to try silversmithing in France. I’m going to southern edge of the Dordogne but will email that accountant thank you. Martin