Thread: Bench polisher

Default Bench polisher

Hi everyone.
    I work in silver and pewter but only as a hobby and use my Dremel flexshaft for polishing. This is ok for many things but not everything and I am considering buying a bench polisher. Cooksons do one for less than £100 but this has a grinder and I would prefer a polishing mop on each end. I’ve seen some online but could with some tips on what to look for.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Kellz
    This is the sort of motor I started with, I didn’t have anything else https://www.bettsmetalsales.com/p-Tw...g-Machine/2877. I just did a quick search so Cookson or others may have cheaper or similar. Mine is definitely a 1/2 hp and is still up the attic as back up in case my big machine breaks down

The Foredom polishing motor is a good buy, partly because of its variable speed (some materials like acrylic need much lower speeds) and partly for the accessories available from Foredom, including the grinding option, which is needed for setting up scorpers/gravers and making other tools such as punches and bezel pushers.

They also offer covers, so that you dont deface the wall behind.

Beware that there are cheaper Chinese lookalikes out there. They probably work OK, but might not fit the accessories. https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/fo...ishing-machine Dennis.

Thanks for the info. I like the look of the foredom because of the variable speed and looked good on the video. I’ve been on the Cousins site but they only appear to do “trade” so I don’t think I qualify unless there is a way round it. The same machine from Cooksongold is £180 but I want to buy from somewhere reliable.

Don't worry, they will not refuse you if you call your company J. Keltz, or whatever and your occupation Designer Jeweller.

The real rub comes that they then call it a business to business sale and won't accept returns, unless faulty. This has been a sticking point for some members. Dennis.

In truth my bench polishers have never had a variable speed and I’ve polished resins and Perspex as well as metals. You just need a lighter touch and the knowledge to pull your work away at the right time if it’s getting a bit hot which you’d do with silver anyway for the sake of your fingers

After reading other reviews re cheap copies I decided to go for the foredom from Cooksons. I’ve not polished anything yet but am impressed by the quietness of it and the compactness. Looking forward to using it. Thanks for all the input.

Thank you for letting us know. We look forward to further posts from you. Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Kellz View Post
    After reading other reviews re cheap copies I decided to go for the foredom from Cooksons. I’ve not polished anything yet but am impressed by the quietness of it and the compactness. Looking forward to using it. Thanks for all the input.
    Hi Keltz, I'm looking at the Foredom too. What accessories did it come with? Ux