Thread: Best wire/thread options for sterling silver beads and semi precious gemstones?

Default Best wire/thread options for sterling silver beads and semi precious gemstones?

Hi all, Just wondering what advice you could give me for creating sterling silver bead and gemstone jewellery materials.

Currently I create more intricate pieces using 2,3,4,5,6mm glass seed beads and wildfire thread but I want to start using sterling silver beads and gemstones, I am at a loss though as to which stringing material would be best and accepted within my sales? I would like to be able to keep my pieces as fluid as humanly possible with whichever material I choose to use, I understand that the wire option would be more rigid

Is there a sterling silver more fluid thread option or is it expected for such pieces to be simply silver coloured thread? or do you think it would have to be the wire option?

Any advice gratefully received

I would have thought thread, regardless of the type of bead - think of really expensive pearl necklaces for example, its thread rather than wire.
    The other option to keep a degree of flexibility using wire would be to work your beads into a fine chain, but its a very different style of jewellery.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beads on chain.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	11384
    Hazel

I use fireline for beaded jewellery (super strong thread developed for the fishing industry). With gemstones they can wear through normal thread based options. If you are just wanting to do a row of gemstones then high quality bead stringing wire is best (beadalon 49 strand. The more strands, the better the drape)

Thanks eekoh and Sheen, I thought it best to stick with what I know, so I tried it and it is fine.
    I guess the main overriding factor with this type of making is the quality finish of the beads as they vary wildly. Some are smooth finished and others sharp edged like a blade around the threading hole.

I think we are back to the bead reamer then. They are inexpensive and the diamond cone will remove sharp edges around holes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bead...ient=firefox-b Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I think we are back to the bead reamer then. They are inexpensive and the diamond cone will remove sharp edges around holes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bead...ient=firefox-b Dennis.
    I was just about to add that as a secondary solution over quality of bead, best to make sure it is a fine gauge too, especially with gemstones.

You could try nylon silk or high performance synthetic silk - pretty tough
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk