Thread: Laser Texture Papers

Default Laser Texture Papers

Hi, how do you get a fairly deep impression with laser cut texture papers (is it indeed possible)? It's probably me being inept at using my rolling machine properly but I'm struggling to get a good impression. My silver is annealed and I followed the "instructions", also watched YouTube videos.....hope it's not a silly question!

Thanks, Em

The tighter you set the rollers the deeper the impression so you need it to be quite hard to turn.
    Do practise on some scrap first though.

Yes I’ve found that the rollers need to be tight so that you have to put your weight into them but they are good. The only problem with practicing is that they are a one run through paper usually and aren’t much use after that

For roll texturing with paper, or fabric, it's a good idea to heat and pickle three or four times, which gives a silver rich surface due to loss of copper (depletion gilding).

You get to learn instinctively which is the tightest gap you can use for rolling. Any tighter and it sticks in both directions and you have to call in someone stronger to rescue you.

Once you are aware of this problem, you become sensitive to it and quickly reverse before it sticks.

Below is an example of texturing with fabric, followed by metal mesh. Dennis..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pangolin L.jpg  

Thank You all, I'm going to have another go with the skull pattern paper my son wants for a ring....will let you know how it turns out (I have enough left to do a practice run in copper first though and thinking about it, he can come and lend some muscle to get a good impression ). Dennis, your pangolin is amazing!

Brilliant Pangolin Dennis - so cute - is it a brooch?
    In addition, don't forget to wrap paper or paper towel around the metal+pattern. It helps to get a good impression. If the metal has been annealed enough, then it should take quite easily.

Remember that the paper or paper towel will also texture the backside of your silver too

Quote Originally Posted by theresa View Post
    Brilliant Pangolin Dennis - so cute - is it a brooch?
    In addition, don't forget to wrap paper or paper towel around the metal+pattern. It helps to get a good impression. If the metal has been annealed enough, then it should take quite easily.
    Thank you the pangolin is a desk ornament. The other side is the same.

Two advantages for wrapping the paper right round the metal when rolling:

You can choose which side you prefer and the metal stays almost perfectly flat instead of developing a curve. Dennis.