Thread: Bezel help

Default Bezel help

I have been given a nice 12 mm diameter brilliant cut garnet, and I would like to tube set it on a silver ring, in the past I have set smaller stones with an inner tube and an outer tube, with the seat on the inner tube, but this is off the scale of my burrs, any ideas how I can get a seating on the inner tube,
    Frank

Have a look at bezel strip

Make the inner tube from a strip of sheet. Hold the strip in a vice and with a flat file, file the angled seat on the edge of the strip before forming it into a tube

I made a similar ring for my daughter, I shaped the bezel then soldered a washer in the tube to provide the seat for the stone. These photos show my method of creating a seat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65b Stone bezel set sheet.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	11359

This was the silver ring I made my daughter, possibly similar to the one you are making.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 silver ring,bezel set lab pink sapphire.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	11360

Good luck
    James

That was very interesting james i haven't set a stone yet so great to see how you do it.

I like using bits of tube fitted inside one another as a quick solution. I rarely bother with a taper for the inner one, but if I do want one, and the tube is too large for burrs, I just use a fresh scalpel blade at an appropriate angle. Silver is more than soft enough for this to work very easily. I often do the same thing rather than filing for an outer bezel on a rubover setting as I seem to run less risk of accidentally filing something I hadn't intended to with this method. I find Rashbel useful for short lengths of perfectly matched tube as they have 0.5mm wall tube in 1mm increment sizes.

We all have our secrets. Mine is to split the inner tube and open it slightly. That way it is springy and held in place for soldering. I slide it up and down with the stone in place for the perfect height.

Agree with George, nothing much gained by filing an inner bevel. Dennis.

Many thanks for all those replies, given me much to think about, I will certainly let you know how I get on,
    all the best Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    ... nothing much gained by filing an inner bevel. Dennis.
    I agree also, especially if speed/ease of manufacture is important, but the OP wanted to know how they could shape a seat on the inner tube, hence my suggestion.