Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do you design?

Quote Originally Posted by eekoh View Post
    Another very good point Sarah, getting metal quantities wrong could be expensive and time-consuming mistakes.

I'm always impressed by your flowers James and doubly so by the accuracy of your design drawings - you obviously do have a very clear idea of what you intend to make each time. As you're making life-like recreations of natural objects did you start with photos / book illustrations or an actual cutting of the plants? Also, do you ever do 'fantasy' plants that you've completely made up yourself?
    Hazel, when I started making these flowers I got inspiration on how to shape petals from a book showing how to make fabric and silk flowers, I am also a keen photographer so I do have a lot of flower bloom photos. In the past I have made a few flowers that are made up shapes, one customer had a some rock crystal scent bottles which I used as vases for these three made up flower sprays.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	78 Flowers in RC. scent bottles.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	11366

James

That's really good stuff James, if I become half that good I will be happy, your drawings are art in their own right

For many years during the 80's I used to carve wax models of rings or pendants. At the same time I dabbled with 3D modeling using computer programs. I was never satisfied with the way these models looked. Lifeless and hard edged. However technology have change all of that. I now use ZBrush and Rhino to sculpt some of my pieces and it is as organic as any other living thing. However I'm making a come back to wax carving. Nothing beats the feeling and look of a naturally sculpted thing done by hand. Also, wax carving is more fun than sitting for hours on end in front of a computer.