Thread: Diamond setting course/teacher needed. Willing to pay :)

Smile Diamond setting course/teacher needed. Willing to pay :)

Hi all, I’ve recently got round to purchasing a scope for gem setting along with burrs gravers beading sets etc, I’m in the process of building a diy air graver as I quickly ran through my budget so a shop purchased air graver is a no no right now lol. I’m a cad/cam designer by day but I want to do some stone setting in my down time. I have all the necessary tools to set and have managed to set a few stones (around 25/30 1.5mm cz’s) in practice work but I can’t quite get the hang of it. I understand the concept of bead setting (raising beads from the metal around the stone etc) and micro prong setting (pre made holes and prongs on pieces from cad-lost wax casting methods) but it looks really messy under and not under the scope compared to a friends work who sets (his hobby) unfortunately due to his schedule he is unable to teach me how to set correctly, I’ve also set a ring I designed for myself and got casted my friend had a look at it and said it was moderate work considering I’ve had no teaching and didn’t have a scope at the time. So long story short I’m wondering if anyone on here would be able to point me in the right direction of a good beading & pave’ course (in the midlands, Leicester/Nottingham area) or even a setter that would be willing to help me out, I know the chances of that are extremely thin lol. I’m willing to pay for any serious advice or teaching of course. I don’t have a huge amount of money but I wouldn’t insult anybody with silly low ball offers either. I’m also willing to trade experience eg I’ll hapilly teach a setter how to cad/cam if that’s something they are interested in learning in exchange for their expertise on setting. Hopefully I haven’t offended anyone with my offers lol.

Thanks

F

In the absence of replies, if you are near, you might consider a course at the London Jewellery School, which has had good reviews recently.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Lond...ient=firefox-b Dennis

Thanks for your reply, it looks great but unfortunately London is 100 odd miles away from me, the courses look relatively short though so it’s a possibility. Thanks again

I went to Utrecht to learn micropavé. Alexander Sidorov has done the occasional course at Goldsmiths in London.
    Sorry, but if you want more than the generic "here's how to bezel/prong/rubover set a stone" you're going to have to travel.

I organised two days of one to one setting tuition here and it was great. We didn't get into pave as it wasn't on my list of things I wanted to learn, but he does teach it. http://www.whitneyjewelleryschool.co.uk/#

+1 for Guy above.
    He also has a decent casting setup.
    Very friendly chap, very flexible in teaching what you want to want to cover.

Thanks for all the replies,

I’m going to contact Whitney Jewellery School today and explain where I’m up to at the moment with setting what tools I have a understanding of and own and see what I can get sorted out there. It sounds silly but I’m a very quick learner when I’m interested in something so I don’t think I’d need more than a day course, I’ve learnt everything up until now through experimentation or watching it be done once and just getting the hang of it. For example I watched vacuum casting being done once and was able to replicate what I had seen within one attempt with no explanations of why things where being done and what things where for, I’ve since researched online and have a much better understanding of what’s what. So with any luck once I have the basic rules/fundamentals of pave’ taught to me I will be able to continue practicing at home and get a decent result sooner rather than later lol.

Thanks again for all the replies

you sound in a similar position to what I was. I bought the online setting course from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYRLYgUC8zQ . I found it helpful also I purchased the setting vidios from new approach they were expensive but you do get a free 'candy' ! I wish I had the jewellery solutions subscription first.