Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decorative (hand hammer/force) shot plates

Well, you might experience some difficulty trying to use a shot plate to duplicate this -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sayagata.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	11335

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I do know that Paul but that doesn’t mean it’s appropriate to use now.
    I can’t imagine with other designs that are on the sheet that Japanese art is where it was intended.
    But always love a bit of mansplaining
    Caroline,

I think they possibly feel that it is entirely appropriate to continuing using, in their context, a symbol that they have used for hundreds of years, even after it was ill-used by others, elsewhere, for a mere 15 years. The plates in question were made for use in the culture they were created in. I'm sure had they, or were they to, make plates targeted specifically for a market where the swastika was felt inappropriate then they would not include it, but that is not the case here. Therefore it becomes a choice whether to buy plates with the symbol included or not, and then whether to use that symbol or not depending on your target market.

I don't understand your Japanese art reference, could you 'womansplain' that one for me?

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I have had no end of trouble with Indian made tools, to the point that I won't buy them if at all possible. The quality control hasn't been good enough - particularly hardening & tempering of steels.
    Peter, Ditto, agreed, I have had similar experiences, particularly with drawplates. Or to be correct, a draw plate. Tried one, it was rubbish and didn't last a single use, what did I expect for three quid

But with other items, I tend to try a sample first and if it works, all well and good. Of course, time will tell, some may not last, others I suspect may well outlive me and my use of them