Thread: Rainbow Calsilica.

Default Rainbow Calsilica.

This is another of my stash of stones, bought from Designer Cabochons earlier in the year. The material was at first claimed to be a natural stone, originating from a mine in Mexico.

There was even a picture of a chunk of the rock, on the floor of a cavern. The give away was that when cracked open, it contained a crown bottle top.

Further analysis shows that it contains dyes and resin, so is definitely man made.
    However I think it is quite pleasing when worn with casual clothes, even though my design is a bit wild.

Metal: Argentium Silver.
    Stones for earrings: 27x8 mm, for ring: 35x20mm and for pendant: 25mm in diameter.
    Chain from Fire mountain: 2mm triple rope, Length 65cm with jump rings inserted for reduction. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rc1 Rainbow Earrings.jpg   Rc2 Rainbow Ring Shank.jpg   Rc3 Rainbow Ring Top.jpg   Rc4 Rainbow Necklace.jpg  

Beautifully made as always Dennis.
    Rather naughty of them to claim as natural stone !

Lovely Dennis. It’s a bit like the one they sell that is made from layers of car paint, fordite.
    http://invoguejewelry.blogspot.com/2...-gemstone.html
    Last edited by CJ57; 05-06-2018 at 05:36 PM.

they are interesting. I have had the same problem with opal, good thing is the government is taking a very hard line on any one who claims it too be natural when it is not

Thank you Sarah, Caroline and Bob.

For opals, my favourites are unpolished boulder opals, where the material sparkles in the rough, but that is not on offer here any more, as the suppliers feel compelled to have them polished.

The best value for money is opal triplets, which are obviously man made, but I have no problem with that, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Thank you Sarah, Caroline and Bob.

For opals, my favourites are unpolished boulder opals, where the material sparkles in the rough, but that is not on offer here any more, as the suppliers feel compelled to have them polished.

The best value for money is opal triplets, which are obviously man made, but I have no problem with that, Dennis.
    I don't mind either, as long as i'm paying what it's worth. I have a soft spot for good quality plastics.

I have a friend who some boulder opal rough sitting in his back yard, I have been working on obtaining some not having any luck yet
    I have a piece Polished sitting at the back of the bench I intend to make myself a ring with it I have been intending this for about a year, I have a couple of pieces that have been sliced waiting for inspiration
    I do not have a problem with doublets or triplets so long as it is clearly stated that is what they are,
    I was at Coober Pedy recently, some of the stuff certain individuals are cutting and polishing is laughable nothing more than worthless potch, unfortunately people who are not well versed are buying it.

Lovely jewellery Dennis, love the bright colours of the rainbow calsica and I've been eyeing it up on their site too, though I've resisted so far as I don't have a specific project in mind yet.
    Hazel

Thank you Hazel. It's bright and muted at the same time. I gave it a further gentle polish with a soft mop and some Vonax, which is meant for acrylic. Dennis.