Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multi-Angle Mitre Jigs

I (very) recently did the same search and have one of each (a 2 slot and a 3 slot) to hand. handmadeblanks and other's summation is correct, 3 slots = 3 angles, no more, no less. Though the marketeers manage to inflate their capability by counting the 'reverse' angles also, so making a count of 2 for each of the 45/135 and 60/120 pairs. I'm surprised they didn't also count the 90/90 'pair' twice .

I achieved what I needed to do by using a model engineers mitre box with ultra fine slots and a 52tpi razor saw (I already had an older 'coarser' slot version from model making, so knew what to look for and where). Sometimes you need to think outside the jewellery tool box and the solution can also be a whole lot less expensive. Here: http://www.shipwrightshop.com/shop/c...tre-Boxes.html

Both the plastic 'mini mitre box' and the aluminium 'thin slot mitre box' are designed for use with the Ultra Thin 52tpi razor saw, which itself is built to cut model engineering brass, so cuts Sterling Silver and Copper with ease and accuracy. They both have 45, 60 and 90 degree slots. It is also possible to adapt either of those boxes to cut a 30 degree angle.

P.S. If you do go down the Zona (or similar) mitre box and razor saw route, be aware that the saws are available in 2 depths, the deep bladed saw will work with both the shallow plastic and deeper aluminium mitre boxes, the shallow bladed saws will only work with the shallow plastic mitre box.
    Last edited by Paul Kay; 05-06-2018 at 01:58 PM.

These are also my favourite tools for starting a score line, prior to making a right angle. Dennis.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out. I knew Dennis was right regarding the angles, I just couldn’t figure out how the retailers were getting their figures from. I may be a good accountant, but geometry has never been my strength (the irony there is not lost on me, given why I want the mitre in the first place!).

The Thin Slot Mitre Box and saw from ShipWright look good. I won’t be able to use them for tubing or wire as my hands won’t be able to hold them in place (I exchanged hands with a centagenarian) but it looks perfect for sheet metal.

End result is that I am going to invest in the Thin Slot Mitre Box and saw, plus a 45/60/90 mitre jig so that I get the best of both. At least now I can close the 29 tabs I have open in Chrome; they’re using up all of my memory!

Thank you all once again for your help.

Cerflun Designs
    www.cerflundesigns.co.uk

You probably know this, but the problem does not end there. if you are making a mitred frame, the lengths need to be accurate too, so you need to allow for loss by filing.
    Also it is best to work by outside measurements only, or you have to allow for loss by mitering Dennis.

I very rarely started working with any kind of mitre jig.Now it is much more convenient to do everything on a computer using all sorts of lasers.

Yes, that's the way to go, but some of us still enjoy testing our manual skills. It would be good to have a show and tell from you Oliver.
    Kind regards, Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by OliverThomas View Post
    I very rarely started working with any kind of mitre jig.Now it is much more convenient to do everything on a computer using all sorts of lasers.
    Perhaps, but can you cut tins of processed pork with a laser?

Bye!