Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Angle Mitre Jigs

Question Multi-Angle Mitre Jigs

I’m looking for a multi-angle mitre jig with (30), 45, 60, 90, 120, 135 degree angles. The 30 deg is not essential, but is preferred.

Can anyone recommend one? It’s usage will be light, and would prefer it if the retailer accepts shirt buttons and/or very naughty children as payment... I can throw in a couple of smelly dogs as a Brucey Bonus. 😉

Many thanks,

Living my life, on my terms.
    Cerflun Designs
    www.cerflundesigns.co.uk

It doesn't exist with that many angles for tube and wire. For sheet, you would score a line with the aid of a protractor. So it looks as if the dogs are safe.

What do you intend to do with it? Of course there are mitre jigs for framing, freely available on line and they have a built in protractor. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

It’s for making miniature picture frames, lockets, mini-boxes etc of less than 30mm and for making 3D geometric shapes (hence the need for different angles) from silver and copper.
    Cerflun Designs
    www.cerflundesigns.co.uk

I found one on eBay with that many angles (allegedly), but I don’t know how good it is.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E23E5DD4-7773-4794-BE03-85B3474E320E.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	11313
    Cerflun Designs
    www.cerflundesigns.co.uk

No, I think you will find that the shapes are to get a grip on different profiles, but the angles available are only 45º, and 90º(meaning flush).

There are some with three angles, but not with as large a selection of grips.

Having made a lot of rectangular belt buckles with mitres, I found that even slight errors in holding rectangular or square wire meant that the parts did not match and had to be filled in. So don't hold your breath.

Of course round wire is much more forgiving. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JEWELER-CUTTING-MITER-FILING-TUBING-JIG-SAW-VISE-5-WAY-SUPER-HARD-STEEL-JIG-VICE-261595721803.jpg  
    Last edited by Dennis; 04-06-2018 at 09:30 PM.

The jig that claims to enable 30, 45, 60, 90, 120 & 135 degree cuts is here, £79.99:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITER-JIG...YAAOSwj0NUi15f

The 45, 60, 90, 120 & 135 degree one from Cousins is £59.99:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/sku/detail...-shears/m48851

The 45, 60, 90 degree one is here (I think this is the same as the one you attached), £59.99:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEWELER-C...wAAOSwPYZU4YrX

The 45 & 90 degree one is here, £44.99:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEWELER-C...oAAOSwkNZUi1u4

What I’m finding confusing is the very thing you mentioned about the number of cut holes and tiers. The most expensive one claims to enable six different angled cuts, and the detailed photos appear to show that the tiers have different angle depths within the slots, as opposed to the whole tier being, for example, 45 degrees. This one also has the largest jaw opening of 25mm, according to the seller, which is the size I need.

I have spent hours trying to figure this out, which is why I posted here. Are they counting the offcut angle for the 30, 120 & 135 degrees?
    Cerflun Designs
    www.cerflundesigns.co.uk

Well, that's all news to me and I withdraw from further comment until i have one in my hand.

Cousins will not accept returns, as they claim business to business rules. I have had things from Tools n Tools and they can be a bit unusual, but they work.

If they will accept returns, get one on approval. Dennis.

Similarly, 60 & 30 gets you 90, 180 less 60 gets you 120...

So are we of the opinion it actually does 60, 45 and 90?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerflun Designs View Post
    The jig that claims to enable 30, 45, 60, 90, 120 & 135 degree cuts is here, £79.99:

I have spent hours trying to figure this out, which is why I posted here. Are they counting the offcut angle for the 30, 120 & 135 degrees?

Hi,

My guess it is based on the simple rules of geometry where a straight line is 180° and a circle has 360°.

If you cut the end of a piece at 45° the remaining angle is 135° (180° - 45° = 135°) which you would end up with if you simply flipped the piece so the slope is now going the opposite way. i.e. bottom to top, then top to bottom. (See my image attached)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angles.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	11317

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Similarly, 60 & 30 gets you 90, 180 less 60 gets you 120...

So are we of the opinion it actually does 60, 45 and 90?
    I think this was a reply to my original post which I deleted because the image didn't attach properly. I have a similar jig so I would say yes, it does 60, 45, 90 and the other angles are the outside angles so to speak.