Thread: Pierced to clip-on earring conversion

Default Pierced to clip-on earring conversion

So I feel like this is one of the most beginner questions to be asked on this forum, but I've no idea what to do next so apologies but here you go:

I am attempting to convert pierce earrings into clipons using a converter but it's gone quite a bit wrong and I'm unsure how to salvage my attempt. This is (fairly obviously, I think) my first foray into anything craft related.

Basically I've managed to put the earrings into the holes and bend them to sort-of right-angles. The picture on the website (Wikihow: 3 ways to covert pierced earrings into clipons) appears to bend them much further, but after checking on my ears that really wouldn't work, so they're pretty much shaped like a sideways 'r' as opposed to the website's picture shaped like a sideways 'n'. However, while that seems like it worked out alright, the earrings' posts keep turning in the slots they're in and don't seem very secure, so if I put them on or shake them the post twists so the stud's pointing the wrong direction, which is not what I want.

I reckon I need to either bend them more or unbend them and slide them in more before bending, but I honestly don't know. I've also managed to accidentally bend the converter a little, and while it still works properly I'm concerned about continuing until I know what I'm supposed to be doing.

Many thanks for any help offered!

Hi Glitter. As Jewellers we wouldn't normally go down that route. We would cut off the posts and fix on clip fittings.

If you dont have the tools, I suggest you untangle what you put on, straighten the posts and use these :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_wG8BzJxEk

Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

That (Youtube link) is basically what I am using now, though. Because they're not dangly, though, the earrings are very obviously below my ears when I put them on, which is why most articles I've found recommended bending them so they appeared to be on the lobe, instead of below it.

Yes I noticed that, but if you found a friendly jeweller, they could do the substitution, no problem.
    Alternatively, this might be just the impetus you need to launch into jewellery making yourself. Dennis.