Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Setting gems into wood.....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default Setting gems into wood.....

    Hello,

    My dad is making my mam a ukulele for their 40th wedding anniversary.....instead of the pearl inlays on the frets he wants to use sapphires! I can set stones into silver but does anyone have any idea how to go about setting them into wood? It seems a shame just to glue them in (as dad wants to do lol)

    Many thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Romsey
    Posts
    5,020

    Default

    Tube set them in silver, then glue the tubes into the wood.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    very sensible.....thank you Peter

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central London
    Posts
    8,241

    Default

    I know, I know, sapphire wedding anniversary and all that, but if you use real sapphires, size limited by price, you will be distinctly under whelmed by the result.

    Foil backed chatons of sapphire colour can be glued directly into wood without detriment, will be a tad brighter and will allow you to choose a size, not limited by price.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=foil...ient=firefox-b

    In fact there will be a surplus in your budget, to make a piece of real sapphire jewellery. Dennis.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    I have thousands of high quality vintage paste sapphires and every other 'gemstone' of all shapes and sizes imaginable and a lovely colour. I'd be happy to send you some if you want. I can look them out and show you the colour if you're interested

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I know, I know, sapphire wedding anniversary and all that, but if you use real sapphires, size limited by price, you will be distinctly under whelmed by the result.

    Foil backed chatons of sapphire colour can be glued directly into wood without detriment, will be a tad brighter and will allow you to choose a size, not limited by price.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=foil...ient=firefox-b

    In fact there will be a surplus in your budget, to make a piece of real sapphire jewellery. Dennis.
    Dennis - I know too - try explaining that to my Dad!......maybe I will show him your message I agree a piece of nice jewellery and just bling up the uke with crystals

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I have thousands of high quality vintage paste sapphires and every other 'gemstone' of all shapes and sizes imaginable and a lovely colour. I'd be happy to send you some if you want. I can look them out and show you the colour if you're interested
    Ah thank you Caroline....that sounds very interesting....yes please. I am at work from 7.30am til 8.30pm but will look out for you later on or over the next few days. No rush. Thanks again, Nicola x

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Could you use a cloudy sapphire - or ruby - they aren't as expensive and you could get a flat one to inlay like MOP. (Isn't Sapphire for 45th wedding anniversary? - I think paste would be fine too).

    Glad my next one is Silver - OH talking about getting me an ingot!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Ah thank you Caroline....that sounds very interesting....yes please. I am at work from 7.30am til 8.30pm but will look out for you later on or over the next few days. No rush. Thanks again, Nicola x
    This is just a few of them Nicola. I have unopened packets of 5 or 10gross
    As you can hopefully see the colours vary quite a lot. The largest and tiniest are the deepest colours with some pretty blues in between. There are other sizes and shapes but thought baguettes and pears would be too difficult. Iím quite happy to send a selection of all depending on how much bling your dad wants.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9310BCF3-2ACD-478D-89EB-D701132F47CD.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	11295

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Hi Caroline, thanks so much for that, you are a star. I am seeing my dad today so will show him and speak to him. Can you give me a rough idea of cost please? Nic x

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •