Thread: How to check solder joint strength?

Default How to check solder joint strength?

I'd like to soon start selling my jewellery, and while I so far it seems all wears well and isn't falling apart I'd like to be able to do some quality control before sending the items out. At the moment I just tend to check the strength of the joints with my fingers, putting some pressure on them, slightly twisting etc. But how can I be reasonably confident nothing will break the next time someone bumps the ring on something?

Aside from taking care when working, is there any way to check the quality of the joint after soldering?

Thanks!

Make some test joints using the procedure you currently use, try to break them with two pair of pliers a good joint will be very difficult to break, the adjacent metal should deform before a failure occurs

I think that if you can see a smooth line of solder, with no pits you are safe. That is with pallions and wire solder.
    Paste is more difficult to assess, because it is so easily destroyed by direct heat.

Thin wires and soldered on jump rings need to be looked at under magnification, as they are they most likely to let you down. It is best to first improve their contact, by making pits or grooves with a round burr, where they are to go.

Ear posts need to be hardened by twisting them in several places, so this will automatically test your joint. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Thank you, guys!

I think my joints look good, so I decided to just torture some of my rings a bit, and they all survived. I always twist earring posts and they don't seem to mind either!