Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting gems into wood.....

Default Setting gems into wood.....

Hello,

My dad is making my mam a ukulele for their 40th wedding anniversary.....instead of the pearl inlays on the frets he wants to use sapphires! I can set stones into silver but does anyone have any idea how to go about setting them into wood? It seems a shame just to glue them in (as dad wants to do lol)

Many thanks in advance.

Tube set them in silver, then glue the tubes into the wood.

very sensible.....thank you Peter

I know, I know, sapphire wedding anniversary and all that, but if you use real sapphires, size limited by price, you will be distinctly under whelmed by the result.

Foil backed chatons of sapphire colour can be glued directly into wood without detriment, will be a tad brighter and will allow you to choose a size, not limited by price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foil...ient=firefox-b

In fact there will be a surplus in your budget, to make a piece of real sapphire jewellery. Dennis.

I have thousands of high quality vintage paste sapphires and every other 'gemstone' of all shapes and sizes imaginable and a lovely colour. I'd be happy to send you some if you want. I can look them out and show you the colour if you're interested

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I know, I know, sapphire wedding anniversary and all that, but if you use real sapphires, size limited by price, you will be distinctly under whelmed by the result.

Foil backed chatons of sapphire colour can be glued directly into wood without detriment, will be a tad brighter and will allow you to choose a size, not limited by price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=foil...ient=firefox-b

In fact there will be a surplus in your budget, to make a piece of real sapphire jewellery. Dennis.
    Dennis - I know too - try explaining that to my Dad!......maybe I will show him your message I agree a piece of nice jewellery and just bling up the uke with crystals

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I have thousands of high quality vintage paste sapphires and every other 'gemstone' of all shapes and sizes imaginable and a lovely colour. I'd be happy to send you some if you want. I can look them out and show you the colour if you're interested
    Ah thank you Caroline....that sounds very interesting....yes please. I am at work from 7.30am til 8.30pm but will look out for you later on or over the next few days. No rush. Thanks again, Nicola x

Could you use a cloudy sapphire - or ruby - they aren't as expensive and you could get a flat one to inlay like MOP. (Isn't Sapphire for 45th wedding anniversary? - I think paste would be fine too).

Glad my next one is Silver - OH talking about getting me an ingot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Ah thank you Caroline....that sounds very interesting....yes please. I am at work from 7.30am til 8.30pm but will look out for you later on or over the next few days. No rush. Thanks again, Nicola x
    This is just a few of them Nicola. I have unopened packets of 5 or 10gross
    As you can hopefully see the colours vary quite a lot. The largest and tiniest are the deepest colours with some pretty blues in between. There are other sizes and shapes but thought baguettes and pears would be too difficult. I’m quite happy to send a selection of all depending on how much bling your dad wants.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9310BCF3-2ACD-478D-89EB-D701132F47CD.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	11295

Hi Caroline, thanks so much for that, you are a star. I am seeing my dad today so will show him and speak to him. Can you give me a rough idea of cost please? Nic x