Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Setting gems into wood.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Hello you are totally right and I was wrong....it is indeed their 45th....I should have known as I am 41 and I was deffo born AFTER they married hehehe! Do you know where to source flat cloudy sapphires from? I've had a quick search to no avail.....thank you, Nicola x ps. fingers crossed for that ingot
    I've learnt something - sapphire is for 45th wedding anniversary and ukulele is for 40th.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    I've learnt something - sapphire is for 45th wedding anniversary and ukulele is for 40th.
    I think the uke is personal to them as a 40th would be ruby. I could have done rubies as well!

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Hahahahaha!!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I think the uke is personal to them as a 40th would be ruby. I could have done rubies as well!
    Yep, they started learning together via Youtube about 5 years ago then they set up a little, local group and hired a tutor and the group learned together. The group is now about 25 strong and they travel all over Northumberland playing for local charities, they have raised thousands over the years. Holidays for my parents now are weekends away in their converted campervan visiting ukulele festivals.......old hippies that they are

Yep, they started learning together via Youtube about 5 years ago then they set up a little, local group and hired a tutor and the group learned together. The group is now about 25 strong and they travel all over Northumberland playing for local charities, they have raised thousands over the years. Holidays for my parents now are weekends away in their converted campervan visiting ukulele festivals.......old hippies that they are
    I have a friend who has expanded his range of products to make ukeleles. I must admit he’s making some lovely pieces and I think has found his forte. http://jimstottportfolio.co.uk/ukuleles
    Last edited by CJ57; 31-05-2018 at 09:52 AM.

I have a friend who has expanded his range of products to make ukeleles. I must admit he’s making some lovely pieces and I think has found his forte. http://jimstottportfolio.co.uk/ukuleles
    Wow, they ARE lovely Caroline....I shall have to send that link to my dad. He has started making them too, but just for fun. He has measured up and, for the frets, he reckons he will need 6 x 3mm (or imperial equivalent) and 6 x 2mm (or imperial equivalent) and maybe a bigger blingy one as a feature. The crown height of the 3mm gems would have to be quite shallow (1 or 2mm) so they don't interfere with the strings. Phew....who knew ukuleles could be so complicated???!@

Nicola x

Wow, they ARE lovely Caroline....I shall have to send that link to my dad. He has started making them too, but just for fun. He has measured up and, for the frets, he reckons he will need 6 x 3mm (or imperial equivalent) and 6 x 2mm (or imperial equivalent) and maybe a bigger blingy one as a feature. The crown height of the 3mm gems would have to be quite shallow (1 or 2mm) so they don't interfere with the strings. Phew....who knew ukuleles could be so complicated???!@

Nicola x
    I think I’ll just send you a load to play around with. They are machine cut so nothing a can do with the depth or height, the larger the stone the deeper they are. If I do that then he can have a play with a scrap bit of wood to best effect. If you pm me your address I’ll get them sent off on Mon if not before. Caroline x

I think I’ll just send you a load to play around with. They are machine cut so nothing a can do with the depth or height, the larger the stone the deeper they are. If I do that then he can have a play with a scrap bit of wood to best effect. If you pm me your address I’ll get them sent off on Mon if not before. Caroline x
    you are a star, thank you Will PM you now. x

Hi Caroline, just to say that the sapphires arrived on Monday....they are gorgeously sparkly and blingy...lush colour...my dad loves them, thank you so much....let the experimenting begin xxx

and thank you to everyone else for your help, advice and input x