Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: Setting gems into wood.....

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Hello you are totally right and I was wrong....it is indeed their 45th....I should have known as I am 41 and I was deffo born AFTER they married hehehe! Do you know where to source flat cloudy sapphires from? I've had a quick search to no avail.....thank you, Nicola x ps. fingers crossed for that ingot

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Hi Caroline, thanks so much for that, you are a star. I am seeing my dad today so will show him and speak to him. Can you give me a rough idea of cost please? Nic x
    No cost at all, I bought them at an auction 20years ago and have thousands in every ‘gemstone’ and shape. They will be imperial rather than metric sizes for drilling holes but my OH says that’s not a problem.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Hello you are totally right and I was wrong....it is indeed their 45th....I should have known as I am 41 and I was deffo born AFTER they married hehehe! Do you know where to source flat cloudy sapphires from? I've had a quick search to no avail.....thank you, Nicola x ps. fingers crossed for that ingot
    Hi Pickle, It is the sort of thing you see at the gem shows but nothing now till September. If you are being offered free sapphires - I'd take them. Alternatively try searching sapphire slice, or ask Curious Gem who have some round cabs - not sure how flat they are on the back. Ux

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkmaiden View Post
    Hi Pickle, It is the sort of thing you see at the gem shows but nothing now till September. If you are being offered free sapphires - I'd take them. Alternatively try searching sapphire slice, or ask Curious Gem who have some round cabs - not sure how flat they are on the back. Ux
    Free blingy antique paste, not quite rich enough to offer free sapphires !

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Free blingy antique paste, not quite rich enough to offer free sapphires !
    Hehehe! Thank you Caroline....Dad's going to measure up etc...will let you know asap x

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pickle View Post
    Hehehe! Thank you Caroline....Dad's going to measure up etc...will let you know asap x
    Ok, will go through the packets, those were only in the tubs. The rubies emeralds and aquamarine are particularly nice and much more standard in colour. I would imagine they date from around the 1950s and some seem to be French & Czech
    Now you just need to find a nice real sapphire to set in something
    Last edited by CJ57; 29-05-2018 at 06:38 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Free blingy antique paste, not quite rich enough to offer free sapphires !
    Haha! Read it more carefully. They would do the job though. Mind you, I was given a free bag of alluvial sapphire gravel by a geologist in Oz many years ago. Don't know what to do with them though.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Ok, will go through the packets, those were only in the tubs. The rubies emeralds and aquamarine are particularly nice and much more standard in colour. I would imagine they date from around the 1950s and some seem to be French & Czech
    Now you just need to find a nice real sapphire to set in something
    We have seen this ukulele ring (you need to scroll down) - thought maybe I could set a sapphire in the hole? Unless anyone has any other ideas of ukulele themed jewellery ? http://www.guitarringsbyisis.com/Collection.htm

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    886

    Default

    This sounds like an amazing project - please show us a picture when it's done!

    That ukulele ring is cute as well.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinyLauren View Post
    This sounds like an amazing project - please show us a picture when it's done!

    That ukulele ring is cute as well.
    I will do.....anniversary is not until September but we are allowing ourselves plenty of time x

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •