Thread: Hi,

Default Hi,

Hi,
    Apologies if this in the wrong place, I can't quite work out how this Forum works!
    I've been a bespoke jeweller for over 15 years now and have decided I'd like to try and create a core collection to market, rather than always working to commission. I do love working to commission & know I'm very lucky to be able to & earn a living from it, but recently I've had a spate of tricky customers & I thought I'd actually quite like to go the route I never thought I would and do a bit of mass production.
    Can anyone recommend the best place for silicone moulds, casting & plating all in one place? I use Merrell normally, but have never tried anywhere else to compare prices?
    Also, any tips on anything in this area would be amazing!

Thank you so much, Laure

Hi Laure,
    The lack of replies is probably due to the dread phrase Mass Produce. The members are mainly studio jewellers, who sell through web sites, galleries, or craft fairs.
    There are plenty of complete services for jewellers on line, but if you get serious, you might have to find a source in the Far East and go visit.
    As for awkward customers, you will find plenty in every aspect of a business, until you finally retire. Dennis..

Hi Laure
    Welcome
    I'm a bespoke Jeweller but don't do commissions. Like you I've long put off having work cast as in my case I'd be bored if I wasn't making something new every time of my own design so I can't answer your question really.
    A gallery I deal has a stockist who designs pieces and has them made in the Far East and she still calls herself handmade so it is a bit difficult for me as they wouldn't hang a painting bought at a trade fair but they will sell mass produced craft alongside really handmade/handcrafted.
    I did an Open Studio a couple of weekends ago and for the first time in 10 years and thousands in footfall I got a letter of complaint also sent to the organisers, a complete character assassination. I was ready to chuck it all in completely never mind change tack. Maybe you need to find another outlet for your bespoke work instead of going down the multiples route if it still gives you satisfaction

Hi Caroline, I can’t believe you got a complaint. That is so mean spirited after you’ve opened up your studio to people!

Quote Originally Posted by TDA20 View Post
    Hi Caroline, I can’t believe you got a complaint. That is so mean spirited after you’ve opened up your studio to people!
    Thanks I was a bit gutted as she shared it to the committee before even giving me right of reply. It would appear that my OH and my other helper were not sufficient for her and her friend on whose behalf she just had to write. I should have interacted, etc etc and if I was thinking about doing something like this again I need to think about my customer service skills.. I'd actually like to give her friend her money back as I don't really want her business but she got shirty because I asked for her details so there was a catalogue of wrongs on my part.
    Sorry Laure just hijacked your post

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Thanks I was a bit gutted as she shared it to the committee before even giving me right of reply. It would appear that my OH and my other helper were not sufficient for her and her friend on whose behalf she just had to write. I should have interacted, etc etc and if I was thinking about doing something like this again I need to think about my customer service skills.. I'd actually like to give her friend her money back as I don't really want her business but she got shirty because I asked for her details so there was a catalogue of wrongs on my part.
    Sorry Laure just hijacked your post
    That's just awful! Don't think I will be opening my studio any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkmaiden View Post
    That's just awful! Don't think I will be opening my studio any time soon.
    It's the first complaint in 10 years so I wouldn't let it put you off, it's mainly a good experience.

There is always one!