Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Importing jewellery - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I suppose it boils down to why we do this Di. Do we do it for the money or for the satisfaction of knowing that people value and appreciate our work. It gives me such a glow when people recognise my work and say they love it. I'd get no pleasure from selling other people's work.
    I cannot agree with that more. The latter though is just business!

Personally, in my market, I like imports - I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole myself but I have customers who sell our products side by side with imported rings and the imports help ours to sell.

The majority of Titanium rings you find in the high street McJewellers are all the same - shop to shop, no variation. Luckily, I think people who buy our rings appreciate the quality, variety and uniqueness, to a degree, of our rings and are prepared to pay extra for something different that every other Tom, Dick or Harriet hasn't got.

We can't compete on price with imports, the majority of Far East manufacturers can't compete with us on quality and design variation.

On the other subject in this thread - selling.

I'm not a natural salesman by any means - approaching a shop over the phone still fills me with dread even after 10 years but I still keep trying. Most of the time talking to the right person is difficult and even when you do, they are usually too busy to talk to you and just want to get off the phone but, every now and then you hit the jackpot and end up having an interesting conversation and it gives you the chance to be noticed a little bit.

I think the best way of selling is not to try and sell - that way - no disappointment!

The internet has reinvented the way people sell now and a website is your greatest sales tool.

I do buy and sell imported findings i string the the beads and the charms myself and alot of time and effort goes into finding the right design but they are cheap and the bracelets and necklaces sell very well they dont even need me to sell them as such a lot of it is word of mouth and most of the money goes into buying sterling silver and uk lampwork and this is really where i want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by geti-titanium View Post
    I'm not a natural salesman by any means - approaching a shop over the phone still fills me with dread even after 10 years but I still keep trying. Most of the time talking to the right person is difficult and even when you do, they are usually too busy to talk to you and just want to get off the phone but, every now and then you hit the jackpot and end up having an interesting conversation and it gives you the chance to be noticed a little bit.
    I think you are better at selling than you let on - Maybe it's just cos I been doing some catching up on this forum and come across many threads with your posts, but there are enough that advertise your products well enough - intentionally or not. I think it's a great thing - like you say - best at selling when you aren't trying to...

I think you are better at selling than you let on
    Crikey! I've been rumbled - I'll get me coat!

big coat is it with inside pockets?

Coming in late to this thread, and I can understand both sides of the argument. I completely agree that there is a place for cheaper mass-produced stuff, and that the market for this would be seperate to the for hand made high quality items. I think the problem lies where the cheap stuff is being sold as something it's not and blurs the line (from the customer's viewpoint) between the two. Situations like Carole described where you are selling at a fair up against this kind of stuff is where it can seriously and unfairly, I think affect designer makers. To be fair, I think that organisers of events should be more strict in who/what they accept into their fairs but it happens all over the place. I am a Web Developer by day, and the company I work for amongst other things is an alternative clothing retailer. They work with some good designers who produce fabulous clothes, at the trade shows you always find a plethora of cheap clothes from Indian/Pakistani based companies who have ripped off the designs they found from the good designers at the trade show before.

As for creative types being unable to market, from my perspective (me included) people start doing something creative and realise their work is possibly worth selling. Then try and sell it, not necessarily with any thought given to or knowledge of marketing. The difference I suppose is those who put in the effort to fill that gap and of course those with a natural talent. I am in the trying to fill the gap category, slowly working out what the heck I am trying to do and how I am going to do it!
    Lucinda

It's true what you say Lucinda. A big chunk of my time is taken up with the marketing side. For instance, this morning, I spent ages making out an application to do a trade fair next year.

I've very little patience with people who turn up at a show with their stuff just laid out on a cloth and wonder why they can't sell. I change my stand design every year in the hopes of achieving the perfect stand - ie one that's easy to carry/erect and is also effective and eye-catching. I'm working on a new one at the moment - maybe this is it!!

I made a point of looking at all the jewellery stands that seem to be appearing at the bike rally we went to last weekend, and there was just one that stood out with a beautifull carefully planned display and i was instantly drawn to it as were others. Then there were what i call the "tooty" stands (no disrespect to their owners) but i noticed that they didnt gain the attention that Liz's stand created, there were a couple that used black manequins on black cloth - completely losing them in the process, and another with no manequins and all jjust laid out on a purple crushed velvet throw that had seen better days.

I definately think the display is a vital selling point, and its draws people in if laid out attractively
    Su' xx

My FB fanpage -https://www.facebook.com/CintaHandCraftedJewellery
    My Website www.cintahandcraftedjewellery.co.uk

I want to learn so much, and i want to know it all NOW!!!:p

One day i will arrive

A huggle a day makes the bad stuff go away

Yeah, I have to say I am of the opinion if you want to market your work as high end on the cheap, it's not going to happen. I'm fully of the opinion that it takes time AND money to create the right image.

I can identify with you about your display. Everytime I think I have got my photos/display/etc right, 5 minutes later I see a million flaws and want to change it all!
    Lucinda