Thread: soldering with diamond already set?

Default soldering with diamond already set?

Hi all,
    I am currently making a diamond and sapphire ring but find setting the diamonds first a lot easier as they are so tiny, (2.5mm) am i able to solder the setting onto the ring while the diamonds in place or will it crack my stone? as far as im aware its 100% natural and not enhanced in any way. Thank you

Dear Niamh,
    First of all, without wishing to offend, I would say that 2.5 mm diamonds are not tiny. You would easily be able to set them with the aid of headband loupe (about 4X), in addition to your prescription glasses. If you do not have prescription glasses, you will need to grasp the nettle and get some. Suddenly you will be in a whole new world.

Next, it is difficult to predict whether your stones will be affected by heat, especially the colour and clarity, so there is really no reason to try it.

Once the metalwork is complete, you will at its most basic, be able to steady it in a ring clamp against the V of a bench peg.

My preference is a leather lined clamp with a screw. Dennis.

Agree with Dennis, 2.5mm is pretty big for a diamond so you shouldn't have a problem.
    Diamonds can theoretically take heat but if there are inclusions or impurities it can cause cracking and/or colour changes so not recommended and especially not worth it in this case.

Thank you both, I am unsure if i can even set them i dont have a flexshaft, i just use a dremel so i dont have anything i can drill a seat for the diamonds with as im not sure if the cooksongold ones are prenotched for setting

What sort of setting are you using Niamh? do you have a photo?
    You can use burrs in a Dremel, they just wear out quickly as you have to run it too fast because the torque isn't enough to run at low speeds.

You do not say what type of setting you intend for the diamonds, but flush setting or grain setting would be the most usual.

Stone setting is a skilled procedure. You can't just up and do it, so practice with cheap CZs and copper sheet first.
    As Sarah has already said, the Dremel will make things worse for you, so if you are not in the market for a flexshaft, drill the pilot holes with an inexpensive Archimedes drill or a bow drill. If you are buying a ready made setting, these will already be there.
    Then perfect the seats by hand with round burrs and setting burrs, in a universal handle.
    You will also need callipers, because success depends on accuracy.

Study lots of U-Tube tutorials to get the idea. Dennis.