Thread: Rolled Gold Jump Rings - heavy gauge

Smile Rolled Gold Jump Rings - heavy gauge

Hi All.
    I'm RUBBISH at making jump rings but need:

1.5mm (ish) 14/16Gauge gold filled 8mm jump rings! Can anybody point me in the direction of a supplier?

I am currently making my own jump rings, but whilst I am slowly getting there, I am dreadful at getting them good enough to solder closed, perfectly round & regular sizes! Am still practicing, but buying ready made would be MUCH easier!!

Really grateful for your help - even if somebody can make me some?!!
    Last edited by impressions; 15-05-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Look for gold filled rather than rolled gold (which is rarely used as a description now). BUT, and it's a big but, you won't be able to solder them as the gold layer will simply burn away, leaving you with a nicely soldered brass ring.

Thank you - I actually meant gold filled Is gold filled not possible to solder at all? I 'thought' I had managed it with some I have managed to make, they still looked the same colour as the gold filled wire ..... However, if the gold was burnt away, I'll just close and not solder!

When newly polished, gold and brass are very close in colour, you will know the truth of it by rapid tarnishing, within a few days. Do the experiment and find out.
    The mystery to me is where does the gold go? I doubt that it vaporises. More likely it burrows into the core to form a new alloy. Dennis.

The Curious Gem does 8mm gold-filled jump rings in 16 gauge.