Thread: The Flower Power Brooch.

Default The Flower Power Brooch.

Inspired By is a competition for adult learners, which comes up every two or three years. The idea is to make a piece inspired by an exhibit at the V&A Museum or Museum of Childhood. Some will be selected for exhibition at Morley Gallery London and there will be prizes in each category. Mine was not chosen this time, but I thought you might like to see it anyway.

Starting with the Jack in The Boxes at the Museum Of Childhood, I decided to vary the theme by using a spray of flowers instead of a pop up figure. They are on a spring and can be retracted by pulling on the flower below, allowing the lid to be snapped shut.

The brooch can be worn open as a decorative piece, or closed so as to invite an inquisitive friend to spring the catch.
    There is a double pin for stability.

Materials: silver, Stainless steel for the pins and spring, Swarovski crystals.
    Dimensions: Height when open 55.0 mm, width 27.0 mm, depth front to back 4.5mm, but made to look larger by altering the perspective. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ly1 Preparatory Drawings.jpg   Ly2 Flower Power Brooch Open.jpg   Ly3 Brooch Closed.jpg   Ly4 Brooch Reverse.jpg  

Now that's very out of the box.

Such a lovely idea Dennis and beautifully done

Thank you everyone. Dennis.

I love it Dennis! What a wonderfully grown up take on a childhood favourite - and how perfect for spring

Dennis, out of interest, what did you use for the texture on the box?

Dennis brilliant. I have also been having a go at making a box at the weekly class I’m currently attending. I found the hinges particularly challenging and now just have the catch to master. I love the mechanical aspect of it.

Thank you George, TDA and Maria.

The roll texture is made with net curtaining done twice, which gives a kind of diffraction pattern.

The distorted perspective gave rise to quite a few headaches. The lid with its hinge was cold connected with three screws to avoid a final soldering operation.

The show is on at Morley gallery London now and being a national competition, there are some extraordinary complex exhibits. there is even a ring with a humming top. Dennis.