Thread: Rubber Barrel Leaking

Default Rubber Barrel Leaking

I have the Evans barrelling machine, brilliant to use apart from I'm on lid number 4 now, they eventually leak and when the shafts get wet the barrel just wont turn. I have tried elevating one end to keep the water away from the top but its hit and miss and starting to annoy me enough to be thinking of buying another new lid.

Looking at Gold Pro Spare Rubber 2lb Vaned Barrel and see it appears less likely to leak. I think it might work on the Evans machine but don't want to waste money if its a definite no. Anyone tried this or have better suggestions?

Thank you
    Helen

Hi,

I have the Evans tumbler and use it with this barrel: Rubber-Lid-For-Evans-Barrelling

I found the trick to getting a leak proof seal is to create a kind of ‘vacuum’ seal. I push down in the centre of the lid to expel some air while gently lifting the rim of the lid so it slips over the end of the barrel. I turn the barrel slightly, press down, lift etc. I go around at least 3 or 4 times. The end result should be the centre of lid is bowed inwards by the vacuum created. The only time I have had a leak is when I haven’t performed this procedure. I run my barrel for up to 4hrs and not a single drop escapes. I have also heard using lukewarm water creates a good seal because as it cools it creates a vacuum.

Maybe I don’t use it as often as you, so maybe it will leak eventually. When it does, I will try this barrel: Spare-Stone-Polishing-Barrel-With--Metal-Lid-For-Evans-Barrelling

The reviews suggest it doesn’t leak.

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Hi,

I have the Evans tumbler and use it with this barrel: Rubber-Lid-For-Evans-Barrelling

I found the trick to getting a leak proof seal is to create a kind of ‘vacuum’ seal. I push down in the centre of the lid to expel some air while gently lifting the rim of the lid so it slips over the end of the barrel. I turn the barrel slightly, press down, lift etc. I go around at least 3 or 4 times. The end result should be the centre of lid is bowed inwards by the vacuum created. The only time I have had a leak is when I haven’t performed this procedure. I run my barrel for up to 4hrs and not a single drop escapes. I have also heard using lukewarm water creates a good seal because as it cools it creates a vacuum.

Maybe I don’t use it as often as you, so maybe it will leak eventually. When it does, I will try this barrel: Spare-Stone-Polishing-Barrel-With--Metal-Lid-For-Evans-Barrelling

The reviews suggest it doesn’t leak.
    Sorry if I'm repeating previous advice but I had leakage problems until I put the lid in a cup and poured boiling water on it ( it's like plasticine). Then as Handmadeblanks says, pushed down with one thumb whilst fitting it all round with the other hand . Perfick!

Unfortunately, I doubt if anyone is going to send you a lid on approval, to return with a broken bag, but you could ask. If there is a showroom near you you might have more luck.

That said there is no inherent reason why the lids should alter in use and begin to leak, except by perishing of rubber which would be felt as stickiness, or seen as cracking. Deterioration of the rubber would be also be signalled by a black and murky liquid as mentioned by some members in the past.

As handmadeblanks has said, it is very important to get the lid right down all the way round. This is helped by lubricating the edges and surfaces with the soap solution first.

Manchester minerals suggest that rubber barrels fare better with a slightly acid solution, so they supply their own barrelling powder. It does not give the re-assuring sudsy result, but works fine.
    I wonder whether if Manchester Minerals are right, a half teaspoon of any acid such as vinegar could be added to other solutions. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 06-05-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Thank you Handmadeblanks, NickD and Dennis. I will try out the suggestions with my old lid before I buy a replacement, and I'd not considered the stone polishing barrel so might opt for that if the vacuum and vinegar don't wotk
    Thank you all
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by handmadeblanks View Post
    Hi,

Thank you, tried and this WORKS! saves me buying yet another lid. tumbler was on all night, flat down and not a drop leaked