Thread: Soldering Cufflinks

Default Soldering Cufflinks

Hi all!
    Iv made 2 9ct rose gold spitfires which i intend on turning into cufflinks for my father as a wedding gift (hes giving me away in 8 weeks). I previously tried to solder a gold chain cufflink back onto the spitfire and ended up melting the chain and a tiny bit of the wing! Im completely new to soldering and so far have only successfully soldered links together.
    I have 2 9ct gold cufflink findings (the T bar ones this time) i want to solder on to my planes, but i am really worried incase i melt these bars, they are not cheap! Please can i have some advice on how to do this? thank you

My best advice would be to practise on copper and silver before attempting to solder gold items.
    Soldering is a skill that requires practise, the more practise the more likely it will go right.
    The reason you melted the chain is because you were trying to solder a small item ( chain) to a larger item so you needed to be sure to heat the larger item first and concentrate more heat on it - both items have to be roughly the same temperature but obviously a chain will reach that quicker than a model plane.
    Did you buy the T bars with the spring mechanism?
    because if so you need to really have your soldering spot on to avoid overheating that.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    My best advice would be to practise on copper and silver before attempting to solder gold items.
    Soldering is a skill that requires practise, the more practise the more likely it will go right.
    The reason you melted the chain is because you were trying to solder a small item ( chain) to a larger item so you needed to be sure to heat the larger item first and concentrate more heat on it - both items have to be roughly the same temperature but obviously a chain will reach that quicker than a model plane.
    Did you buy the T bars with the spring mechanism?
    because if so you need to really have your soldering spot on to avoid overheating that.
    Thank you Enigma, Im not sure if they have a spring, I bought a old second hand pair of cufflinks and sawed off the blank so it left me with the T bar that opens out into a T from a straight stick if that makes sense? I agree. I will practice on silver first to avoid possibly melting them and ruining it! x