Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheatsheaf Ring Sizer vs Triblet

Default Wheatsheaf Ring Sizer vs Triblet

From reading the forum it seems Wheatsheaf is the gold standard brand for ring sizing in the UK. Does anyone know what the difference is between the stainless steel ring stick and the steel triblet?

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AHY

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-823

Am I missing something? It seems a lot more to pay for a wooden handle? Are there advantages of one over the other?

Apologies if this is a silly question!

Tess

The steel version is new and I have not seen or used it, but as described it is just a cheaper version.

The advantage of the brand is that it is the most commonly used in the UK and accurately calibrated to match the ring gauges. http://www.cooksongold.com/category_...af+ring+sizers Dennis.

Thanks Dennis

While not having one or both in hand, my guess is that the -AHY ring stick is just that, for sizing, being a thin cone of stainless style, accurately marked, whereas the -823 triblet is (semi-) solid steel, intended for actual forming, Though I would never use one like that with markings all the way around for such purposes, as they always mark the metal, so I prefer at least just partial markings, at best plain/unmarked, for forming.

I don't think thats the case, Paul.
    The cheaper one states that it is for forming and actually the cheaper one is much heavier than the dearer one?
    In fact the dearer one doesn't state that its for forming.

Thanks Paul and Sarah, you can see why I was confused!

I stand by my comment, Sarah, greater weight does not necessarily indicate greater cost, quality may well do so, for example the stainless steel of -AHY v. steel of -823. Nor do I see where I suggested that -AHY was for forming, but quite the opposite. So, having found my ancient Wheatsheaf -AHY version, I can confirm that it is constructed from a cone of 1.5mm stainless steel and (in my mind at least) intended solely for ring sizing. P.S. I had to dig out my genuine Wheatsheaf ring sizer, as it's a bit of an heirloom, so I tend not to use it as a day-to-day tool. Originally belonging to my father, he would have bought it in the late '50s - early '60s. It only sizes A-Z, without the +6 to cope with present day thicker fingers.

Wow Paul, that is quite an heirloom. Until I recently looked at their website I had no idea how long Wheatsheaf had been making ring sizing equipment.
    Think I'll go for the -AHY as an investment piece as already have an unmarked triblet for forming. Will use the current 10% off at Cookies to justify the purchase...
    Thanks again guys.

My apologies Paul, I read your comments the wrong way round.
    Why would anybody want to pay more money for a mandrel thats only for sizing though when you can have one that you can also form on for less?

You make a good point Sarah. What I understood (or thought I understood) from Paul’s post (and indirectly from Dennis’) is that the stainless steel one might last longer than the steel one? In addition, that circumferentially marked triblets can leave marks on rings so better to not use them for forming?