Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheatsheaf Ring Sizer vs Triblet

I hadn't noticed that one was stainless steel.
    Yes good points and it sounds like that gives the answer to your original question too

My guess for why the sizing only ones are made (other than it being just one more of those mysteries of the trade) is that if you are just checking the size of rings all day, you don't want to heft around a solid steel forming mandrel/triblet. The stainless steel ring sizer is very lightweight in comparison. As for forming on them, I recall vividly, when I was much younger, my father flying across the room and grabbing my arm as I was about to strike some metal against a Wheatsheaf size with, knowing my habits at the time, a hammer. A lesson learnt and not forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kay View Post
    While not having one or both in hand, my guess is that the -AHY ring stick is just that, for sizing, being a thin cone of stainless style, accurately marked, whereas the -823 triblet is (semi-) solid steel, intended for actual forming, Though I would never use one like that with markings all the way around for such purposes, as they always mark the metal, so I prefer at least just partial markings, at best plain/unmarked, for forming.
    Sorry to drag this up again but my customer ( daughter) has very high standards. I'm making a ring and have only used thus far the cheapo "plastic tie " type of finger measure,slid this onto my trusty unmarked triblet and then wrapped binding wire to find a size.I've not had many "real " customers and so have always been able to adjust to fit .Do most folk use the 999 AHY as their gauge? Would people advise a set of rings to accompany this?Are half sizes worth the bother?
    Beautiful day here in East Anglia!

Commiserations. I also have made many rings for family members and it has made me paranoid about getting the size right. That is, the smallest half size that will go on and off without a struggle.

It is worth choosing the Wheatsheaf brand, because it is standard in the UK, but the aluminium ring stick is a fair bit cheaper.
    They are are available from various sources, for instance here:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jewellers...-/262526607095

There is no need to pay extra for half sizes, because they are easily marked by eye using a saw: just one short mark for each half size.

As far as ring sizers are concerned, yes half sizes are an advantage, as are rigid ones. Please note that if you are making a broad band , then you confirm the size by reading from its mid point. Dennis.

In my opinion a set of solid ring sizers are a must have, the flexible through away type really don't cut it I have both the narrow type and the wide type, as said above half sizes are easy to do
    by eye. The one mistake I made years ago was to to by cheap Chinese sets and they were both different, plus they corroded very quickly and become useless, the expensive good quality replacements are serving me well

Thanks v much guys. Now I know.

I've been very happy with the stainless steel Wheatsheaf stick and sizer set (without half sizes) but am sure the aluminum one would be just as useful.

Ive used the plastic disposable ones for the last several hundred rings now over 5 years and had literally one wrong size.
    I don't have a lot of choice anyway as all my sales are out of country but if I had people able to come in to be sized I would use a rigid set.

Yes if I was selling and needed to post I would probably stick to the disposable ones, luckily pretty much every thing I make is just for friends when I get a custom order I usually have contact with the person so life is easy