Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition May 2018 - Something New

Default Theme Competition May 2018 - Something New

Hi everyone,

May has arrived along with our next themed competition of the year!

There's always something new to discover when jewellery making, whether you are learning a new technique, trying out a new design or testing out a brand new workshop tool.

That's why this month, we want to see your designs which fit the SOMETHING NEW theme - your piece could fit into one of the categories above, or some other interpretation of the theme. The choice is yours!

Our favourite will be chosen to win a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree, good luck!

Submit an image of your piece (along with a brief description if possible) on this thread by midnight, Thursday 31st May 2018 to enter.

Good luck!

Terms & Conditions:

The closing date for the competition will be at midnight GMT 31.05.18.

The judging will take place on 01.06.18. The following criteria are used to determine the winner: design, the technique used and the overall finish of the piece. The Cooksongold judging panel will make the final decision.

The winner will be announced and notified via the forum by 01.06.18. The winner must redeem their shopping spree (up to the total value of £100) using their own Cooksongold account and within 2 months of receiving their winner information email.

In the case of the winner's shopping spree exceeding the total prize value of £100, the winner is liable to pay for any amount over the value of £100.

The competition is open to all Cooksongold customers aged 18 years and over. Only one entry per person.

Employees of Cooksongold, their agents and families are excluded from the competition together with any person connected to the competition.

To enter the competition, simply comment on the relevant forum thread with a photo of your themed design. No correspondence will be entered into.

All designs submitted must be the original work of the individual submitting them and must not infringe the rights of any other party. Cooksongold reserves the right to contact an entrant for further clarification if necessary.

Cooksongold reserves the right to disqualify any entry if it has reasonable grounds to believe you have breached any of these terms and conditions.

In submitting your design, you give your permission for it to be included in any marketing or any other promotional material connected with this draw, and for Cooksongold to upload your design to Instagram and Pinterest if it is chosen as the winner. Copyright for all images submitted for this draw remains with the respective entrants.

Entry into the competition is deemed as acceptance of the rules.

Cooksongold reserves the right to amend these rules at any time and to cancel or amend the competition if for any reason we believe it cannot be conducted fairly or in accordance with these terms and conditions.

Imagery associated with this competition is not representative of the exact prize, and is for marketing purposes only. Cookson Precious Metals Ltd reserves the right to change the prize for one of equivalent value.

The promoter is Cookson Precious Metals Ltd. Please note that competitions and promotions featured on this page are in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest.

You are providing your information to: Cookson Precious Metals Ltd, 59-83 Vittoria Street, Birmingham, B1 3NZ, United Kingdom.

The information you provide will only be passed to external partners e.g. couriers to enable the awarding of prizes.

No purchase necessary. There is no cash alternative.

These terms and conditions shall be governed in accordance with English law.

Lightbulb Seamless Ring

Thought I would kickoff the competition with Something New.

This is my very first attempt at making a seamless ring. Made from solid 925 sterling, it started out as a standard washer cut from sheet that I rolled. I formed it into a ring shape on a plain steel triblet using a nylon mallett. The final form was created using a doming block and a hydraulic press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0052_00001.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	11215

Name:	DSC_0052_00001_00001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	11216

Name:	DSC_0053_00001.jpg 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	11217

Name:	DSC_0059_00001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	11218

Hi everyone,

Hope you had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend

If you are back in the workshop this week, don't forget about our latest themed competition - a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree is up for grabs!

Enter your piece now for the chance to win.

Good luck!

Jen

Hi Jen, Don't know if this is allowed but you can always ignore it I guess. Can I enter my son's ring - as a proud mum? He is still off school after having a terrifying amount of metalwork put into his spine. Very bored and a bit lonely stuck at home with me. I made him sit at my bench and have his first go at silversmithing. Sterling silver ring with D shaped wire. Think he might have caught the bug and I might have a new apprentice!

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	11225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	11226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4404.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	11227

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkmaiden View Post
    Hi Jen, Don't know if this is allowed but you can always ignore it I guess. Can I enter my son's ring - as a proud mum? He is still off school after having a terrifying amount of metalwork put into his spine. Very bored and a bit lonely stuck at home with me. I made him sit at my bench and have his first go at silversmithing. Sterling silver ring with D shaped wire. Think he might have caught the bug and I might have a new apprentice!

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	11225Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	11226Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4404.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	11227
    Hi Snorkmaiden,

Yes you are fine to enter on your son's behalf - hope he recovers soon! Until then it sounds like you have a keen jewellery maker on your hands

We are now halfway through our competition for this month, so everyone else you still have time to submit your piece and be in with a chance of winning a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree!

Jen

Default Old cross earrings, new settings

Name:	crossearrings-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	11242 I was given these earrings some time ago and I've spent many, many hours trying to work out what to do with them. The crosses are 12mm long and 5mm wide.

Name:	crossearrings-5.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	11243 After separating the crosses from their mountings I soldered them to .50mm x 16mm blank silver discs and fitted .70mm 9ct yellow gold wire around the perimeter with a loop at the top.

Name:	crossearrings-15.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	11246 Finally, after a lot of polishing, I mounted them on 9ct yellow gold hook wires with beads.

Name:	crossearrings-16.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	11245 I hope my old and new fits in with this month's theme.

Michael

This is my entry for the month, it's a pair of cufflinks made with medals (miniature versions of the real thing) for a veteran soldier. The idea was to find a way to wear medals earned in an every day environment.

Its new due to the construction, both sides are larger than a button hole but both medal and ribbon are important symbols.
    To make the cufflink usable I decided to make the centre rod a screw and bolt (using tap and die) so that the cufflink could display a large front and rear.
    Honestly it was a tad difficult, we had to add the "wings" so that the front section would rotate whilst being done up.
    I've not seen anything like them anywhere else, this may be because it's a very bad idea! Either way they are working very well!

Name:	IMG_20180517_083026.jpg 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	11250

Hi
    This is my first time doing any competition, and im very new to goldsmithing with no training or experience so please excuse my peice if its been made very poorly, but i feel quite pleased with them. They are a gift for my dad on my wedding day in 7 weeks. 9ct rose gold spitfire cufflinks using recycled gold and recycled cufflink backs.

Name:	32252574_10217162734007321_74747205637898240_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	11251

Name:	32191142_10217162734127324_1479234312095137792_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	11252

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Hi
    This is my first time doing any competition, and im very new to goldsmithing with no training or experience so please excuse my peice if its been made very poorly, but i feel quite pleased with them. They are a gift for my dad on my wedding day in 7 weeks. 9ct rose gold spitfire cufflinks using recycled gold and recycled cufflink backs.

Name:	32252574_10217162734007321_74747205637898240_n.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	11251

Name:	32191142_10217162734127324_1479234312095137792_n.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	11252
    They've turned out brilliantly Niamh. Well worth all the effort you put into them.

Hi everyone

Thank you to those of you who have entered our May themed competition recently!

Just as a reminder, there is only just over a week left to go in this month's competition - the closing date for entries is midnight, Thursday 31st May.

Good luck

Jen