Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition May 2018 - Something New

Lovely to see everybody's entries, Sam I think thats a clever design on the cufflink mechanism.
    Good to see your cufflinks worked out too Niamh, your father will be delighted Im sure.

Ive just finished making this for a friend, a new take on an ancient theme.
    Also new for me was the geometry as I wanted the triangle to be pyramid shape but that made it a bit tricky fitting the figures in.
    Another new aspect was setting small emeralds, diamonds are so much easier.....

Ive called it 'Egyptian Allure'.
    75mm wide by 55mm high in 9ct white and yellow gold set with 3 diamonds,14 1.5mm emeralds and a tourmaline trillion on a strand of mixed emeralds, pearls and gold beads.
    the 3 figures are the Goddess Isis, Bast and a scarab beetle all cast by me in Delft clay.
    The pearls are from Pearlescence, one of our forum members who has a fantastic selection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egyptpendantsmall.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	11255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egyptsmall2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	11256

Default Something new - from something used.

This month's competition was a lovely excuse to do something I'd been meaning to do for ages - use up some of the bits from my scrap pot and left over beads to create - something new!

Name:	Something-New-Sml.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	11257

Sally

I've been so busy recently (and the boy has monopolised the computer whilst studying for a post-grad) I've not had much time to post anything. I have, however, made something new!

This is my first attempt at a spinner ring. I learned a lot, as I carved the wax for the base ring a bit too chunky, so it was difficult to flare the ends, and also it's not terribly comfortable to wear. I think it looks pretty though!

Name:	Sterling-silver-moonstone-star-spinner-ring.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	11286

This my jewellery set inspired by lichen for my university project. It is a first for me in many ways: First time I have worked with organic forms, which I really enjoyed; my first try at patination, stone-setting and granulation. This is also the first time I'm sharing my work with anyone except my teachers and my family. Thank you for the opportunity.

The set is made of brass, except the top 'lichen' part, which is made of copper because of it's ability to develop such a nice blue patina. All the parts are hand cut with a piercing saw. The brown bits are oxidised brass. The stones are Amber cabochons set on the neck piece and the hair pin, which I think compliments the colour of the blue patina very well. All the parts are held together with E6000 glue.

Name:	DSCN1235.jpg 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	11287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1241.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	11288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1255.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	11289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1260.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	11290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1264.jpg 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	11291
    Last edited by rrekasz11; 25-05-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Came across these fossil wood beads, had to buy them as I liked how unusual they were. Decided to have a go at making some tube rivets (a new skill) I reamed the bead holes to fit my silver tube, cut the lengths by rolling it under a scalpel, then bent it til it snapped. I riveted it into the holes and burnished the ends. The rest of the earrings were given a satin finish. The ear wires were made with argentum another new one for me as I have been told it's hypoallergenic (I can't wear silver in my ears and usually opt for titanium)

Name:	IMG_20180525_070149.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	11292

Name:	IMG_20180525_065340.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	11293

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Something new for me, working with found objects.

An old silver thimble amongst my late grans things. It took me a while to look in her sewing drawer, but glad I finally did.

Name:	7D860DA5-3D50-40D1-A1FF-1CE2AE3206A1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	11294
    Last edited by Wallace; 27-05-2018 at 11:53 AM.

It's much more fun when there are lots of entries - like this month.
    Is it because the topic appeals or because it's a slow month work wise?

Quote Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
    Hi
    This is my first time doing any competition, and im very new to goldsmithing with no training or experience so please excuse my peice if its been made very poorly, but i feel quite pleased with them. They are a gift for my dad on my wedding day in 7 weeks. 9ct rose gold spitfire cufflinks using recycled gold and recycled cufflink backs.
    Attachment 11251
    Attachment 11252
    I also forgot to mention my method of making these, i hope I can still add this but I used the delft clay method using scrap rose gold jewellery, I found it hard to get the cast right at first and must have wasted so much sand but at least I got a matching set in the end after it all! X

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the excellent entries to our May themed competition! We are pleased to announce that the winner is rrekasz11 with the following entry:

Name:	may18.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	11297

We thought this set was very striking and loved the contrasting colours of the pieces. A great design considering it is your first time using quite a few techniques - well done!

Please email competitions@cooksongold.com with your contact details and Cooksongold account number so we can arrange for your prize to be sorted.

Congratulations again!

Jen