Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro torch

I've had a sievert forever and have rarely used anything but the middle burner. I need the big one for cuffs but the noise scares the bejesus out of me and it took a bit of getting used to!

Quote Originally Posted by LeanneMary92 View Post
    Hi, I'm a newbie and this is my first thread! I'm looking to set up my own little work bench at home to practice some of my recently learned skills. I'm just getting so confused when it comes to purchasing a micro torch. I will be using it for both soldering small pieces such as jump rings but would also like to solder larger pieces like bangles. Do I need two torches or is there one that would cover all of this? Is it worth spending the extra money to buy a proxxon (for the small pieces) and max flame or iroda pt500 (for larger pieces) or will a cheap cooks torch do the exact same job. Which torches do you recommend? Thank you
    Before you make any decision, read this:using-propane-gas-250913.pdf

The smallest propane tank that I know you can use with any torch is 3.9Kg and even this tank is not recommended to be used indoors.

See this guide: which-gas-bottle?

I personally think your choice is limited by the fact that you are working inside your home.

IMHO: You should stick with a small handheld butane torch because as you say, these are even sold as a Kitchen Blow Torch. I wouldn't consider anything bigger until you have a dedicated workshop outside of your home.

I thought that might be the case.
    The other option would be to have the bottle outside with a piped supply and switch off valve inside but probably a bit awkward if its an upstairs bedroom.
    Realistically I think if you are just starting out then get a handheld torch for now and accept its limitations.

I was worried these would be too much for a bedroom. In that case can anyone recommend the best micro torch that both gets the hottest (for thinner bangles as I think that's all id be limited to) but also a fine enough flame for smaller pieces?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There is actually a good alternative that might work, and that's an orca (EZ Torch) with an adapter to allow you to use MAPP gas (which comes in much smaller bottles. I much prefer the orca to the sievert in terms of balance and air flow adjustability. It's more than enough for bangles and even small casting jobs and you can get a very nice small flame too. I have a little torch, but still tend to default to handheld or the EZ a lot of the time because of the sheer convenience and ease of use.

https://www.bettsmetalsales.com/p-Ez-Torch-Kit/
    https://www.bettsmetalsales.com/p-Ez...ode=TOOLSSAGR8 - ask them to make it up with a suitable length of hose for your workspace

this works with the 400g disposable MAPP cylinders, which are available at most plumbing and DIY stores (the yellow cannisters)

The good thing is that if you move to a dedicated workspace, you can easily switch over to a large propane bottle using the original fittings for the torch.

You will need a re-fillable micro torch for thin rings, jump rings and chains, so you might as well shop for the cheapest on line.

Soldering a bangle however thin, is quite a different matter, because its size aids the loss of heat so fast that it won't get hot enough to solder with a small torch.

There are larger hand held torches, but you will probably need two (or one of each) used together, for bangles.

Thank you both, very helpful. I might therefore get a cheap handheld and also the orca on the provision that MAP gas can be used in a bedroom.
    George - do you know whether this is ok to use inside the house?

Quote Originally Posted by LeanneMary92 View Post
    Thank you both, very helpful. I might therefore get a cheap handheld and also the orca on the provision that MAP gas can be used in a bedroom.
    George - do you know whether this is ok to use inside the house?

Do you have a space outside in your backyard? You could make a small work area outside just to do larger soldering jobs where you could use a larger propane torch.

Look here for some ideas. http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/garden-sheds

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....rden-workshops
    Last edited by handmadeblanks; 29-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.

I'd love to have something like that outside but unfortunately it wouldn't be an option at this stage

I can't believe after about 2 weeks of research I've finally made my decision- yay! I now need to quickly make the purchase before I change my mind haha! For any newbies having the same issue I've decided on getting a cheap handheld microtorch I found on ebay with good reviews and will also get the EZ torch kit with the adapter for MAPP gas as suggested by mizgeorge.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to my first thread, what a fantastic community :-)