Thread: Easy and paste solder.....

Default Easy and paste solder.....

I have to solder a brass circle onto a silver disc then attach a silver cuff link fitting onto the other side of the silver disc. Am I right in saying that I should use easy or perhaps medium solder for the fitting onto the back of the silver disc and then silver paste solder for the brass disc? I am concerned that I must not heat the fitting up for fear of destroying the spring and swivel of the fitting (as advised by Cookson) I am assuming the melting point of the paste is lower than that of medium and in fact easy solder. I don’t want to either destroy the fitting or have the whole lot fall apart when I solder the brass disc onto the silver.
    Any other way or better way to approach this?

Hi, paste solder has comparable melting temperatures to strip, but the two need different techniques to use them successfully as paste can be overheated and fail to work.

Personally I find pallions more predictable.

Using pallions for sweat soldering, they are first melted onto the back of the addition and then re-melted with it in place.
    Only experience will tell you how much solder to use, but by bevelling the lower edge of the piece to be added, it holds back solder which might otherwise seep out.

Once the 'buttons' have been made, I would choose findings where the frame can be soldered on first and the sprung bit added cold.

Many of us avoid medium solder as difficult to use, so you might go from hard straight to easy. Dennis

Yet again, thanks Dennis. Unfortunately I have bought the already constructed fittings! I will examine to see if I can de-construct them. Failing that I will have to take the plunge! I will attempt to add some form of heat sink to the swivel end of the fitting if I can de-construct.

Yes, something like Thermogel would be useful to coat the fittings in away from the area to be soldered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Yet again, thanks Dennis. Unfortunately I have bought the already constructed fittings! I will examine to see if I can de-construct them. Failing that I will have to take the plunge! I will attempt to add some form of heat sink to the swivel end of the fitting if I can de-construct.
    If you have a 3rd hand, suspend the fitting in water while soldering the front to the back.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Poor old Les

Quote Originally Posted by art925 View Post
    If you have a 3rd hand, suspend the fitting in water while soldering the front to the back.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Thanks what a good idea. I do have a third hand so ....next time!
    Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk