Thread: Should I get insurance before using a customers stones?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should I get insurance before using a customers stones?

Hi all!

So just as the title suggests, should I have insurance in place before undertaking work using a customers own stones? If so - any recommendations?

I have been approached to undertake a commission of 2 necklaces using the customers stones from a broken ring. This is the first proper commission I have worked on and I’m equally thrilled to have been asked and nervous that I’m out of my depth!!

Is there anything else I should consider before providing a quote?

All advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

Take some good quality photographs of the stones in place and if they are expensive precious stones, get them authenticated and valued, so that you cannot be accused later of substituting cheaper ones.
    If you are inexperienced, practice with CZs and copper first. Dennis.

Unless you are really wealthy insurance would be a good idea, I can't recommend a company as it would not be relevant
    as for the quote sit down work out every step before hand plus supplies you will need, this includes consumables and don't under quote yourself

Its important to have it in writing that any damage to the stones is at the customers risk.

Thank you for all your answers, that’s is really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Its important to have it in writing that any damage to the stones is at the customers risk.
    I suppose I should really have terms and conditions in place for jobs like these. I have so many more questions now!! Ha ha!
    Should I give the customer a quote along with the exact technical details of the proposed piece, a drawing/sketch, cancellations not permitted, payment schedule, buyer enters at own risk re stones...

What else should I cover here? Sorry, this has evolved into a whole new thread ��

I normally have it all in email conversations as we go along plus terms on my website/etsy page but if you haven't then yes it would be a good idea.
    Personally I only ever take full payment at the time of ordering but if you have a different schedule then it should be clarified in writing.
    I will say though that unless its a *very* good friend its not a good idea IMO to start work without full payment.