Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pickle not working

Hi Caroline and Dennis, i used the alum in a crock pot where the alum started to steam. I haven't had many items in the pickle so the concentration must be okay. The dark colour doesn't rub off easily i tried soap and toothbrush, brass brush and eventually went with green scrubby and bon ami to remove it. Caroline interesting that it should come out matt pink in the alum, suggests there's something i'm doing wrong. As long as i know the alum should work for copper then hopefully i'll figure it out.

What I would do then Sheena, is to make up a new hot alum solution, gently heat the copper without melting any solder joints and drop it in. Should work. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, will give it a go with my next batch. The last lot of things i made i really enjoyed the soldering, i feel like i'm making progress.

I should say Sheena that his copper isn’t soldered only fold formed and I have no idea if that makes a difference. I’ve given him his own batch and he boils it up on a stainless steel pot on the gas.