Thread: Earring direction

Default Earring direction

This will probable be obvious to most people but it gets me confused and doubting myself on a regular basis. If the earring decoration is at right angles to the earwire is it facing front? Like the example below. I don't want the side of the bead to face the onlooker as it is a completely differant shape. The angle of peoples ears is baffling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180416_184644_HDR.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	11163

It would be facing generally forwards. I'm pretty sure thats the normal way decorations are hung on a wire, though they'll always be slightly outwards facing because most people's ears aren't directly at right angles to their head.
    Hazel

This is a perennial problem with anything involving linked jump rings.
    Hazel is right and following convention the tiny linking jump ring would be left off so that the flat faces the viewer.

However, you are the designer and you can have it any which way you prefer it.
    Same goes for instance for faceted stones. They can be set with the point facing outwards. There's daring. Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    This is a perennial problem with anything involving linked jump rings.
    Hazel is right and following convention the tiny linking jump ring would be left off so that the flat faces the viewer.

However, you are the designer and you can have it any which way you prefer it.
    Same goes for instance for faceted stones. They can be set with the point facing outwards. There's daring. Dennis.
    I originally had them without the linking jump ring but that was me getting confused about the direction again.

It's useful if you don't wear earrings to get earring sticks from Cookson http://www.cooksongold.com/Display-a...prcode-963-108 or I put a drill bit in my vice when I'm measuring the hang of my long earrings to get it right. You'll find the longer earrings are the more straight they hang to the front and aren't so shaped to the ear

Thanks hazel and dennis. Caroline that's answered a couple of questions. I always wondered what those sticky things were and where to get them. I've addded one to my basket. Hope you're enjoying some sunshine today. Thanks

Yes it's lovely here now if it wasn't for the gale pity I haven't got a washing to dry!
    You need them if you are at an event so that people can ' try ' them on so need 2 for that. I use them to get an idea for me without pierced ears but for working if you even hang a wire across something so that you can hang the earrings it allows you to stand back from them too and get an idea of how they'd look as a pair

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    Yes it's lovely here now if it wasn't for the gale pity I haven't got a washing to dry!
    You need them if you are at an event so that people can ' try ' them on so need 2 for that. I use them to get an idea for me without pierced ears but for working if you even hang a wire across something so that you can hang the earrings it allows you to stand back from them too and get an idea of how they'd look as a pair
    I got some earring stands when the jewellery workshop in perth closed down and she was selling all of her shop fittings. I find them indispensable when making up earrings. I also bought a couple of cheap clear plastic ones on ebay. See below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180417_133032_514.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	11167

Those are good, I bought them last year as it's really difficult to find nice ones and they just about do the job