Thread: Kiln help

Default Kiln help

I recently inherited a small "vintage" cress kiln. My mother was a China painter but I don't recall her ever using this kiln.

I thought I could maybe use it to heat up my ingot molds and melt my silver (currently I melt in a crucible and heat the mold with my torch but never seem to get the mold warm enough).

My problem is I have NO idea how to use the kiln and cannot locate a manual online. Does anyone have any experience with this type kiln or a resource I could check into for more information? I am attaching some quick photos I took of the info plate and dial. It is a front opening I would call tabletop kiln "Cress C100E"

Thank you for any direction you may send me!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

For a manual, I think I'd be asking the manufacturer - http://www.cressmfg.com/contact.html

As for use... Check it's electrically safe, put it somewhere safe to run and switch it on. No idea what the temperature range is (11A@115VAC is going to be a bit lacklustre), but that dial is likely to control little more than a bimetallic strip, so it isn't going to have the most accurate temperature control. I'd measure the top end temperature with a suitable thermocouple, personally.

As Petersaid check the temperature, if it was for china painted in may well not reach the required temperature to melt Silver

You will see that it is not suitable for UK mains voltage. If you have not seen it used, make sure there is a suitable adapter, or it will burn out.
    Once you have checked the electrical safety and established the maximum temperature, which it will reach in 15-20 minutes, there is not much you will learn from a manual. A basic kiln is a basic kiln.

As it has exposed elements, there is a shock hazard if they are accidentally touched with metal.

When using a kiln, you are advised to wear protective gloves and #3green glasses for eye protection. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-05-2018 at 08:58 AM.

@Dennis, you are right to say that about the voltage, but since the OP included 'miami' in their username I figured they were in the USA.

However if you are in the UK the 'adapter' you need is called a step down transformer. You need to make sure you have one that is of suitable power rating which in this case is a minimum of 1.3kW.

Ah yes, didn't even consider Miami was outside the M25. Dennis.

Actually I am in the US but not Florida...Miami, Oklahoma which is small and unknown...ha. Thank you for your responses. I will try directly contacting Cress although thier website does not give me much hope.
    If I can figure out how to safely operate the kiln I may even try some enameling. Best to you all! Thanks again!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk